Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is Eclipse Renewal & Q&A

Mohenjo Daro

Eclipse Renewal was a branch off of Mirage Legacy which was based on Eclipse Origins. ER was originally made for all the new comers to 2D MMORPG that wanted to make a game with features but didn't know where to start and couldn't program. It has many features and some that haven't been seen in other Eclipse engines.

### [History]

:::

ML was a branch off of EO 2 that had some features added to it (mainly from tutorials and a few custom add-ons) for new comers to use. It had more features than EO 2 and a different layout as well. It was my personal favorite engine for a long time (about 2 years). I grabbed a copy of ML and decided to add a few tutorials to it while I learned to program more and released the, up to ML 2.3.\

After this, I asked Johnson to help me make a new engine with ML 2.3 as a base and this is how ER came to be. ER added quite a few tutorials to it when it started and then had more custom features that people requested. As the versions progressed, the server saw a lot of change and the client saw some as well. There was a Halloween release that added custom graphics as well, and there was a whole new GUI layout in version 1.7\. Version 1.7 also switched from DX7 to DX8, however, it did lose a lot of it's features to to the change in base engines. The base engine went from ML to EO 3 and required all the features to be programmed back in.

Version 1.7 was a huge step forward because of the change to DX8\. This allows for the engine to use alpha (translucent) colors and images which allows for many more features to be added.

After ER 1.7, the project was dropped by Johnson and I was too busy to pick it back up and then never had the motivation to, but with the new engine in the works, I thought Eclipse Renewal deserved a final farewell. For the farewell, the engine is heading more towards the beginning with a more original server layout. The engine is also going away from hard coded features and more towards optional features with use of check boxes and radio buttons so that developers who can't code or get VB6 to work can still make a game with different features than someone else. ER 1.8 will also go back to being feature rich again after 1.7 was one the empty side due to wanting to get the engine released.

:::

### **Q and A Section:**

Q: Is the engine free to use?
A: Yes

Q: Can I make a game with this engine?
A: Yes

Q: Are there graphics that come with it for me to use?
A: There will be a few to make a test world, but there won't be many in order to keep the file size down.

Q: How will I get graphics?
A: You can find some on google. I suggest buying them from itch.io

Q: Can I charge money for a game I make?
A: Yes, you can make people pay to play your game

Q: Can I make a new engine with this and sell it?
A: You can make an engine with this, but you can only sell a compiled version and not the source code

Q: Will this engine be supported?
A: Yes, there are bug fixes and new features released every few months

Q: Will you add this custom feature if I pay you?
A: I personally will not, but you're free to ask around the forum

Q: I found a bug, what should I do?
A: Read the [Bug Report Guidelines](https://www.eclipseorigins.com/topic/86376/read-first-how-to-submit-a-bug-report) and make a post in the [Help and Bugs](https://www.eclipseorigins.com/category/150/help-and-bugs) of the forums

~Development Team
~Mohenjo Daro