Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NPC's Do Nothing! (Need VB6 Help!)

Iman7

Iman7, it sounds like you don't know how to program in VB6 and are not particularly interested in learning. Working with Eclipse is a great opportunity to learn VB6; however, it is not required. The portable version of VB6 is garbage and has never worked for me. The free version is a useless joke. Either get a proper full version (enterprise edition) of VB6 or stick to closed source. "Closed source" refers to engines which are already compiled and do not include source files - in other words, perfect for beginners. If you'd like to try open source, get VB6 by torrent (one of the only ways since Microsoft no longer supports it). If you open the server or client in VB6 and an error message pops up, you should not continue as you will run into problems.

Make sure you are running the server as an administrator. Shelf the idea of VB6 for a bit and just try the .EXE files. If you suspect corrupted NPC files, a quick check is to move all NPCs in the server to another folder (say "/server/data/npcs/backup") and rebooting the server, which will recreate fresh empty NPC files. If you still get errors, the problem is in the source code. You can restore your npcs back into their original folder and seek help (or another engine).

It's good to be cautious. Based on your situation, your only liability is personal information, and you should never transfer account files when transferring a server, unless it's to a permanent server host. There are those here with hundreds of posts who still can't figure out what all the map attributes do, much less debug a subscript out of range, and might actually pull some petty content theft on you. Conversely, I've been here off and on for seven years (more off than on, but nine years if we include Mirage) and have the expertise needed to help you, but also the newbie rank. I'm probably not alone in that. Post count is a fool's yardstick for trust.

> If you open the server or client in VB6 and an error message pops up, you should not continue as you will run into problems.

So if he has any problems you think he should just give up? Seems like pretty bad advice.

> So if he has any problems you think he should just give up? Seems like pretty bad advice.

You misunderstand. Perhaps I'm not being clear. I mean if you open the source in VB6 and an error message immediately pops up (to do with run-time files, licensing, etc.) you should address those problems before continuing. OP mentioned ignoring a boot error while loading source.