Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Port Forwarding For Dummies

L0lz

I got bored, and thought this tutorial could get through to a lot of people, and will help solve a bunch of stuff.(probably not)

Without further adieu, let us get started.

Step One- Getting Numbers.

1\. Open Start > Run
2\. Type CMD in the Run Window. A new Window will show up.
3\. In the new Window type ipconfig. A list of ips will show up.
4\. Copy down your IP, and Default Gateway.

Step Twoā€“ Getting into your Config

5\. Open an Internet Browser, and into the address bar, type in your Default Gateway.
6\. If a window shows and prompts you to enter your user and pass, do so. If you do not know the user and pass, by default it should be admin, password. If you still don't know, reset your router.

Step Threeā€“ Port Forwarding

7\. Once in your router's configuration/website, find a port forwarding option.
8\. Once there, create a new port forward.
9\. The name should be Eclipse, and the ports should be 4000 to 4000\. TCP/UDP(BOTH if TCP/UDP isn't an option).
10\. For the Server IP open up your Eclipse Server. Copy the IP at the top of the window, and use that IP.
11\. Once the form is filed, cilck apply or whatever the button is to confirm the port forward.

Fourth Step- Testing.

12.Once you have port forwarded exit out of your browser, and restart your server.
13.Open up your Client Folder, start your Client, click IP CONFIG, and replace the IP with the IP you copied in Step One.
14.Once done, try connecting to the server, if successful, you've completed the port forwarding process.

Extra Step - Having Issues?

1.If you find out that you cannot connect after you have port forwarded, try using ports 4001 or 4002\.

2.If you get an error while port forwarding the only thing I suggest, is restarting your router, or copy and pasting that error onto google.

If you are completley hopeless and are very noobish, post the error here, or MSN me at.. [email protected]

I hope a bunch of people find this usefull.

Lol, I saw it was getting a lot of views, and seeing that it was a pretty good tutorial, I felt I should post.
1 thing you should fix: I can't really read steps 2 and 3ā€¦ the titles, i mean.

• 2 weeks later...
When you open up your internet browser, just type in your default gateway in the address bar at the top of the browser program. You should type something along the lines like 192.168.1.1 etc. Make sure it's the address bar and not the search bar. Just type in the default gateway, nothing else.

Okay I got that to work finally (After six tries of copying and pasting the same IP seven times)

But when I port forwarded and fixed up a player client and sent it off to my beta tester it kept saying "the drive or network connection needed is unavailable" every time he tried to connect and he even commented that it needed a disk or a network resource. He says he's not using a vista, so it can't be the vista problem. Any help?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ok i'm building a game and would like to host the game from my laptop computer to a few friends while until i can find a place to put the server part but i have absolutely no clue what to do on how to port forward or what to send to them to allow them to play it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I got one question, when it's with putting the client onto the internet. So i went to filefront and uploaded the client folder(after i copyed it) and then, when my friend downloaded it, it says it cannot read GXF files, and some other files, why is this? Idk if it's just because he has vista, but someone please help!

• 1 month later...