http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwgjGhPYQgI&feature=related

@AkselJ:

> That would be cool!

omng u hav no idea lol
id hav like stats be like
strength- attack and defence power
magic-increases mana and spell power
speed-increases how fast the bar loads
endurence- ur Hp limit (increase by 100 every time)

@Minilinkki:

> yes, but how ya make it? :P
> i think it isnt easy..

im tryin to learn VB so i can work on it
maybe get help from others and such

Because MMOs are persistant real-time worlds with dozens to thousands of people playing at the same time. Being placed into a turn-based event unwittingly when even just one participant is retarded or AFK means a waste of time to the other players participating in that very same event. It's fine for mutually chosen activities, like agreeing to duel another player, joining a party and going hunting, or joining a poker game; because the player agreed to these conditions.

@Anna:

> Being placed into a turn-based event unwittingly when even just one participant is retarded or AFK means a waste of time to the other players

true but thats y the battle system is atb as i showed in the video in my first post. you can attack while the other players attack you dotn hav to wait for them

• 1 month later...
If all you want is an ATB-type system, that would be easy. From what I can tell (I have only been looking at Eclipse for a couple days), there is a timer that is counting before you can attack again during combat. If there wasn't, then you could attack probably 60 times in 20 seconds.

All you would really need to do is find the code that holds that counter, and give it a graphical representation. Probably as a bar that would reside under the small avatar health bar on the world screen (the one that appears after you begin attacking).

And as an extension to what Anna is saying, I cannot really see the reason for this. The ATB system employed in the earlier Final Fantasy games was simply used as an illusion of real-time combat within the constraints of a turn-based platform. If they had the technology to make it real-time back then, I think they would have, since that was the goal of the ATB system.

well so at last it's not a turn based at all… it is an active time battle system and well precisely that is the kind of system i plan to use in my game as well, but don't worry i already have some differenses on it. and well as u already saw the ATB is the way  MMORPG go on battle afterall, the big differences is that they never show up how the times really get charged cuz there's no bar for it like it was in the original final fantasy serie... but well go for it men!!  :) u may suceed and that will show how positive that could be for players... and after all help me as well ;P... cya!

• 4 weeks later...