Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disparity Recruiting

Peterfarber

Most importantly, try to be as original as you can with this project…you can't very well use anime graphics done by other people as your GUI. Also, though it is possible for your concept to work out, you'll have to find some brilliant way to differentiate yourself from World of Warcraft, or else it won't get too many players - after all, they can just go over there to get exactly the same concept with better graphics and a larger community.

@Peter:

> maybe if you could give me an example of what u think a fun game would be i could work off of that.

I would love it if I could, but that is quite a difficult question, if only because it's so open-ended…and, more importantly, I highly doubt that you would be interested in devoting hours of your life to developing my dream.

Really, you'll probably have to do a bit of research on that yourself...have you played many MMOs? Because the more MMOs you play, the more comprehensive your view of the field will become. That way, at least if you can't come up with an original idea, you can combine enough different ideas to make something that seems unique.

As Amperglyph said, originality is the key here, although the absence of a price tag on your game might attract more players than another game _of the same level_. I put emphasis on that because there are (and always will be) players willing to pay for better graphics, gameplay or features. It is _very_ difficult to go up there with the giants like WoW, Perfect World, MapleStory and others because they have whole (paid) developpement teams that work there for a living.

This being said, it is still possible to make a great game with Eclipse. ^^ If you want to know what I like in a game, it would be the following:

A dynamic world: I like it when players can influence the storyline of a game, when actions player take have a repercussion in future content. Like, if a guild of players constantly help newcomers and heals the wounded, a patch maked the NPCs living around them start talking about how good they are. Or if a group of players tend to roleplay a lot and form a cult to some god you haven't thought of, use that and make that god interact with the story. This makes the players feel attached to your world and could keep them from leaving your game for another where each player saves the world individually, without affecting the other players (who will just do the very same quest when they get to that level).

Of course, that implies a huge amount of developpement, so you don't have to make _every_ quest a unique on. After all, there are always monsters to be hunted and goods to be carried to another town and stuff. But _some_ events should involve the players more than "Go hunt that boss 542,156 players killed before you came along". Maybe an event is unevitable, but you can make the players feel like they could have kept it from happening.

This happened in Asheron's Call, where Bael’Zharon, a big, evil demon was trying to enter the world. The developpers placed a shard on each server and the story was told that if the shard broke, evil would come to this land. Of course, players who were followers of that demon went and attacked the shard, breaking it and causing their leader to enter the world.

But on the Thistledown server, that didn't happen.

Instead, players organised themselves to form a guard watch, complete with rotation and backup. The defenders (players, really) help for a few weeks, repelling raids and attacks by the followers of the evil entity. Eventually, the admins decided to help the story conclude and impersonated important NPCs to help break the shard.

You know what? They _failed_. The players were organized so well, the administrators of the game failed to pierce their defences. They tried again, this time bringing more players into the fray, and still couldn't get to the shard.

Wow. Mere players, though they were numerous, influenced the storyline of the game. Of course, the admins made a third raid and finally succeded, but I think that it's wonderful that players could influence the storyline that way. The developpers actually placed a shrine for the Defenders of the Shard on the server, and it still stands today.

Well, long story short, this is what I like in a game. Hope I don't get any TL;DR comments. XD