Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Virus! What can you do to stop/prevent it!?

Chakkra

**Info:**
There is a new virus running about, It's called GameVance which coincidentally is the name of a gaming site.

**What does it do anyway?**
It will spam you with mass pop-ups, Will freeze your computer, will make applications not respond, and will freeze any internet application that is running more than 30 minutes. There have also been reports of computer crashes.

**How do you get it?**
It seems to come from multiple websites/applications. One of the main sites is a Rom/Emulator site known as **[Removed]** The best thing to do would be to not install/download anything from that site. But if you absolutely have to, be very wary of their installers. Look at exactly what it's installing. Especially at the end when it has the checkboxes asking to install additional programs. I got it from a site called **[Removed]** it installed when I downloaded a game called Megaten. The virus will not show up for about 2-3 days.

**Oh noes! How do I get rid of it!?**
Simple. Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs uninstall it form there. If it is not on the list, go into C:\Program Files and delete the **FOLDER** called "GameVance". It will not let you delete the file itself. It will say "You do not have permission to delete this file" After you have done that, Run your virus scanner. I found that McAfee was the only one I have that actually found the remnants and deleted them.

If none of that works, try this:

Click on start
Select Run

Type CMD and hit enter

In the black command prompt window type

"DEL /Q /S /F %temp%" (without quotes) and hit enter
Let it run through and remove all the temp files in the folder.
Once done close all the windows and then scan using any major adware scanners.

Hope this helps anyone who has the "GameVance" virus.
To the People who don't have it: DO NOT go to those two sites I stated above. It is not a fun virus.