Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DEVmode

symphonia117

I had an idea that I posted in the taking wishes thread but I decided to actually type it all up and make it look nice.  So here's my idea:

Basic Concept:
I wanted there to be an easier way to use the in-game editors rather than having to type in all of the commands.  I also wanted an easier way of changing your character's attributes at will and many other things for testing purposes.

Original Idea:
I had originally thought that this could come in the form of a separate client.  This could be distributed to all those who are developing the game but the down-side for that is it could then be obtained by non-developers.  This called for some revisions in my idea.

Revised Idea:
I thought about just adding a DEVmode into the client.  Instead of having to type in all of those commands to edit or change things you would instead have one universal command "/devmode".  This would then change the GUI set up of the client or even load a different one (idk VB6 or much about how the client operates so whatever is easier I suppose).  The chatbox could be removed along with your inventory and stats and all those other buttons and instead be replaced by buttons like:
-NPC Editor
-Item Editor
-Map Editor
-Spell Editor
-Script Editor
-Warp To
-Etc.
Basically all the usual commands an admin or whoever would have.  But When the user types in "/devmode" the server would look at their access and depending on that, would display or allow only certain buttons.  This would keep the mappers mapping and etc.  They would have access to what they don't need.  Then there could be a "Test" button used to temporarily switch back to USERmode where you could test it out before saving.

End:
Many other functions could sprout from this such as other various client modes as well as things such as a self-character attributes button which would allow you to change your character's stats for testing purposes (immortality, heal, add or subtract from stats, etc.)

So um… yeah. that's it.  I thought it was a good idea and would be a great addition to the Eclipse client.  I also think, as I said, that this is something that can be built on and expanded further than I've done here.

~symph

• 2 weeks later...
eh.
i forgot about the admin panel.
oh well.

like i said. this idea can bebuilt on.  i suppose i just wanted the editors to be built into the GUI better. i think it'd look nice.  and the admin panel doesn't list every command an admin can use does it?