Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What makes a good ORPG?

Orbegon

I believe a good story really brings a game to life and makes it more believable. I know some games aren't going for believable but to the person who likes to "RP" it makes it alot more fun if they have a good story to go off. Also if it doesn't just focus on the main story there should be some equally great side quests/stories as well. There isn't too much more I want to add with out giving away some of the ideas behind Veridian. ^.^

> I believe a good story really brings a game to life and makes it more believable. I know some games aren't going for believable but to the person who likes to "RP" it makes it alot more fun if they have a good story to go off. Also if it doesn't just focus on the main story there should be some equally great side quests/stories as well. There isn't too much more I want to add with out giving away some of the ideas behind Veridian. ^.^

HaHa lol thanks for your post!  :D

Some players will look forward for a good story and will read every word from what NPCs have to say, BUT most of players don't give a f*ck about that, they want action, not some slow piece of crap like:

"Go talk to X and come back to me, then talk to Y, kill 8 dogs"

Because it is an Online RPG, you will have to be very active in game aswel, every small stuff wich includes some kind of reward will be more enjoyable.

Why?

Hey, players don't play your game just to level up and kill mobs for nothing, they want Items aswel.

So, adding nice Live events would do good.

Also, when you offer them some challenges, make sure it's not just skill spamming and attacks, offer them A FEW ways to deal with it.

There are so many ways to make an ORPG Enjoyable, BUT you will never make it Good, because of what I said above.

If it would be just an RPG then yes, the story would be much more important, because you have somehow to feel the game, character development trough story is important too, and many other stuff.

> Some players will look forward for a good story and will read every word from what NPCs have to say, BUT most of players don't give a f*ck about that, they want action, not some slow piece of crap like:
>
> "Go talk to X and come back to me, then talk to Y, kill 8 dogs"
>
>  
>
> Because it is an Online RPG, you will have to be very active in game aswel, every small stuff wich includes some kind of reward will be more enjoyable.
>
> Why?
>
>  
>
> Hey, players don't play your game just to level up and kill mobs for nothing, they want Items aswel.
>
> So, adding nice Live events would do good.
>
>  
>
> Also, when you offer them some challenges, make sure it's not just skill spamming and attacks, offer them A FEW ways to deal with it.
>
>  
>
> There are so many ways to make an ORPG Enjoyable, BUT you will never make it Good, because of what I said above.
>
>  
>
> If it would be just an RPG then yes, the story would be much more important, because you have somehow to feel the game, character development trough story is important too, and many other stuff.

Good point I like your criticism.  ;)

For me, it's the LORE of the world. If I can easily loose myself in a game-worlds lore, then I can very nicely enjoy the game. Also, live events and a 'real' world.

Kings dying.

Wars ending/starting.

Disasters.

Changing Economy.

Things like this happening live is a great way to keep the player base satisfied, as the world is always changing.

> For me, it's the LORE of the world. If I can easily loose myself in a game-worlds lore, then I can very nicely enjoy the game. Also, live events and a 'real' world.
>
>  
>
> Kings dying.
>
> Wars ending/starting.
>
> Disasters.
>
> Changing Economy.
>
>  
>
> Things like this happening live is a great way to keep the player base satisfied, as the world is always changing.

Yes, thanks for your reply. I agree that this would be cool in a game and I might consider making sure some of these aspects are in my game.  :D

> I posted this awhile back.. worth a look [http://www.eclipseorigins.com/community/index.php?/topic/134295-taboos-of-orpg-creation/?hl=taboos](http://www.eclipseorigins.com/community/index.php?/topic/134295-taboos-of-orpg-creation/?hl=taboos)

Very Sexy!  :D