Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sub-server….?

Pasketi

So i though if in SE there could be a Master-server, where is all he map-, item- and other-data, and then there could be some sub-servers, that get and put all data from and to master server AND has few own files, that master server won't get. This can be helpful, when most of the players are from other countries, so you don't need to keep the server up all the time. Master-server could be in internet.

So overview:

Pros:
+ more different servers with same world and skills etc.
+ coders can do their own servers with something special (minigame-servers etc.)
+ Possibility to "half-dedicated"-game (if one server is down, others are still going on)

Cons:
- more servers + more admins = more server-cheaters (mass kill, exp, lvl etc.)
- game can be more fragile with 200 different servers…

If questions, ask. Thank you

-P

The two common ways are to have a server with a full list of other servers, then it will reroute you. Some developers also separate this further with a login server and an actual game server. The other common way is to have a set of servers responsible for a specific region each.

Regards,
  Godlord.

That's not what i meant… I mean in example distributable server, where all the data is locked or connected to "master-server" two-way (upload and download). then sub-servers got also "Private" folder, where is all the locked from master-info (unique mini-games or maps etc.)

Go it now?

-P

@Godlord:

> The other common way is to have a set of servers responsible for a specific region each.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

If i think closer, this is what i meant, but that it would be connected to master-server, because i.e. if someone got 200 lvl guy in one server and he hears that is other serve he could afford something good and on the current server it costs too much, he can't get to that other server with his 200lvl guy, but he has to make another character instead. So player database and other data (not unique-to-server-data) would be in master-server, and players and server-unique-scripts and other data could be in sub servers. So this is one way to distribute the game: By giving players a chance to make their own servers, where they cannot be admins and cannot do anything radical with their servers, but if one has server, he apparently tells his/her friends: "come and play one game, i got my own server, so no-one else gets there."

So there could be 2-3 public servers, from 3 to infinity unique minigame/mod-servers and from 1 to infinity private servers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...