Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to create GOOD fangame?

Minilinkki

**How to create GOOD fangame -Guide**

**First of all:**
- If you haven't made own game yet or you are new, DO-NOT-START-WITH-FANGAME, got it?

**Where to start?**:
- Design game idea, story and how it is based of it's real game.
- Make the **MOTHER DUCKING CUSTOM SPRITES!** That really makes it look better than steal.
- Mapping must be good, so train your mapping skills or find someone good mapper.
- Get team, if you work alone project freezes in few days.
- Don't be noob mod like "OH HI  XD XD XD XD WHATS YOUR NAM  XD XD XD"
- Don't make mistakes at typing like me :3

**Step 1 - Story**:
- Story must be cool,good and not so long.
- Don't make boring "save the princess" feel into game, you can design better!
- If you have no idea, play real games and try get story then.
**Step 2 - Sprites**:
- Create Custom sprites, it makes more fun to game.
- If you do not have spriting skills find spriter or stop project.
- Stealed sprites makes game unoriginal and you can't call sprites to your own then.
**Step 3 - Game**:
- Now, you have some sprites and story, still do not release demo, dump!
- Start Design the world and maps.
- Add some scripts and NPCs.
- Create items and shops.
- Get a Patcher biatch!
**Step 4 - Mapping**:
"Hey look what i made"
- no, don't, please, you have to have mapping skills to make maps into FANGAME, sexy maps makes it feel unoriginal.
- Try copy ingame mapping littlebit.
- Do not make stupid Mod-castles into fangames.
**Step 5 - Demo**:
- Ok, now you have scripts,Sprites,Maps and everything else made somewell and you feel it's right time to release demo, i say no.
- Beta test all items, all npcs, all maps and everything else before you release game.
- Ok, now everything is tested, go to forums and press ne topic.
- First, read the rules.
- Second, Read the rules again.
- Third, Read the rules last time and start make topic.
- it must have: Story, Much information, Cool looking, Screenshots and last but not atleast DEMO DOWNLOAD LINK!
**Step 6 - Ingame playing**:
- Be friendly to new players.
- Help them little bit.
- Don't show your uber admin cheats.
- Don't be noob.
- No flamewars.
**Step 7 - Everything else**:
- Game have to follow the story like real games.
- Game have to have old items,enemies etc. from real games.
- Good example of great fangame is Beau's and his teams **World Of Hyrule**.
- Don't give stupid names for fangame like "ZELDA ONLINE" Be creative and create good game, or is game based of zelda's and her clones adventure? I don't think so.
- Read the rules.
- To make good game, it have to have good server.
- Don't forget check **World Of Hyrule**s websites and forums.

Thats all, if it is missing something, tell me, i made this quickly so.. yeah.

Time to throw my many cents into this topic.

Firstly, fan-games are actually a good idea for people's first projects. Why? Because being their first project, it gives them a basis to work on, without too much of a workload. They have a story, lore, and such to base their project on, which is a good step in before designing their own cartography, lore and story.

In regards to the custom sprites, aside from it looking better then a steal, it also makes your project have more chances of survival if it does get popular. A project released with all ripped graphics is likely to draw more attention. Of cause, the big no-no here is daring to charge for your game or claim trademarks as your own.

Theres nothing wrong with whether a story is long or short. It depends on how much depth you want to your game. Personally I particularly prefer mmorpgs with an easy story so you can focus on enjoying the game with friends. Deep stories are great for singleplayer games where its you alone playing, so your given full chance to immerse yourself. Theres nothing wrong with a 'save the princess' fanbase, although cliche, it does work for a fanbase game. In particularly, Mario Bros. I would love to play some more games like Zelda and Mario that focus on pure unadulterated fun.

The most important step, is planning your game before jumping in. Get the basis planned out first. Don't rush in else your project may become a mess, and you may find yourself wanting to redo a lot as it comes together.

I see you've also referenced my game. I would like to think that I've done it right. I've planned it out well, and aside from making sure I got the fan-base accurate, I've also added my own unique touch and style.

Hope this helps.

@Kreator:

> Time to throw my many cents into this topic.
>
> Firstly, fan-games are actually a good idea for people's first projects. Why? Because being their first project, it gives them a basis to work on, without too much of a workload. They have a story, lore, and such to base their project on, which is a good step in before designing their own cartography, lore and story.
>
> In regards to the custom sprites, aside from it looking better then a steal, it also makes your project have more chances of survival if it does get popular. A project released with all ripped graphics is likely to draw more attention. Of cause, the big no-no here is daring to charge for your game or claim trademarks as your own.
>
> Theres nothing wrong with whether a story is long or short. It depends on how much depth you want to your game. Personally I particularly prefer mmorpgs with an easy story so you can focus on enjoying the game with friends. Deep stories are great for singleplayer games where its you alone playing, so your given full chance to immerse yourself. Theres nothing wrong with a 'save the princess' fanbase, although cliche, it does work for a fanbase game. In particularly, Mario Bros. I would love to play some more games like Zelda and Mario that focus on pure unadulterated fun.
>
> The most important step, is planning your game before jumping in. Get the basis planned out first. Don't rush in else your project may become a mess, and you may find yourself wanting to redo a lot as it comes together.
>
> I see you've also referenced my game. I would like to think that I've done it right. I've planned it out well, and aside from making sure I got the fan-base accurate, I've also added my own unique touch and style.
>
> Hope this helps.

Okay well, kreator have been spoke.
I add this bottom of my post so newbs. can read it.