Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Low Poly Base [WIP]

Ezemel

Though I'm not new to Rigging and Animating 3D models, I'm new to making them, I'm more with the old school stuff, pixel art and 2D in general.

I'm open to any kind of advices, really want to learn new stuff.

828 Tris

>! ![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/8c9abf3fc1a1a86a12d125193b8bedac.png)

> Practice makes perfect.  You're almost there.  ;)

Almost there? well, i think it is still quite far xD

On-Topic: what program are you using to blend 3D graphics? i'm looking for a good one.. I don't really get how to use Blender ehehe.. i'm looking forward to see the detailed sprite of that person.

Personally I'd go for a good quality, hand painted texture instead of normals. On that geometry normal maps won't actually give the feeling of detail. Sharp, nicely shaded UVs would do, like so:

>! ![](http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/db/67/63db676b58aa712fcff75116f96d25c8.jpg)

Whoever made this, never bothered using normal maps and as you can see effects are more than nice.

Bottom line is - it depends on what you're aiming for, so normals are a perfectly viable way of doing stuff, but with lowopy models the final effect is entirel dependant on the texture itself.

**Note:
This is a Low-poly Base Model [Keep in mind, Base, it has no details]**

Ehrm, you obviously lack informations, my mesh geometry is fine and resemble a normal human being, so is no chibi or cartoony.

Normal Maps are created from DETAILED HIGH POLY Meshes, it will simulate the geometry on a low poly Mesh.

There will be Texture [colors and such], Normal Map to simulate the high details geometry, but it will be low poly.

Every game has Low-Poly Models, because if it would be High Poly, it will have a very very hard time Rendering that in real time.

The Illusion of High Detailed Models is given by Normal Maps.

Painted Textures without Normal Maps cannot give the detailed GEOMETRY, it will look just ehrm painted and cartoony.

What you posted is a Cartoony-Chibi looking one, and it doesn't really require Normal Maps.

But to have a Very Detailed Model like this one, you need Normal Mapping.

The 3rd one has Normal Map, 4th one is just the Texture+Normal Map, but in reality is just the first Low-poly model you see.

**Note:
The below image is not a "Base"like my Model, but is low-poly enough.**

>! ![](http://ja.gram.pl/upl/blogi/264034/img_wpisy/2008_05/postacie.jpg)

You cannot change Geometry by painting the texture, the example you posted is just basic Shading.

Example

1st = 4 Milion Tris [You will never use that in anything]

2nd = 500 Tris [but it lacks the detailed geometry]

3rd = 500 Tris [it has the Normal Map, wich simulates the High Poly geometry of the first mesh wich has 4 M Tris., and in reality it only has 500]

![](http://www.arapahoecampus.org/dpiner/3d_modeling/images/Normal_map_example.png)

Thank you for pasting images from wikipedia, Implying I never seen them, don't know what I'm talking about and that I need explanation on what a normal map is.

I don't lack information, in fact I'm absolutely sure I have more than enough to freely speak about your work.

You seem to have a problem with taking advice, don't ask for it then or learn to take it.

You made a model that has too few quads to even animate properly and now you drop examples from tripple A games, everyone can make something like that from refference pictures in minutes, it doesn't require talent or skill, just a basic understanding of modeling tools and a realy basic modeling tutorial, there's nothign you can screw up there if you have those two, there's no black magic here, you're not doing anything exceptional.

Show that you can make a propper UV map before you start giving people lectures on techniques they probably understand and can apply far better than you do. Mkay?

> For me, Blender is the best, is Free and very good at making everything in 3D.

:lol: Yep, we are using it at the moment too on my Company, it can do everything what maya or 3ds Max can do and its free.

The rendering is a bit bader than on maya but theres now the Cycles rendering and with that its already very good ^^

> Thank you for pasting images from wikipedia, Implying I never seen them, don't know what I'm talking about and that I need explanation on what a normal map is.
>
> I don't lack information, in fact I'm absolutely sure I have more than enough to freely speak about your work.
>
> You seem to have a problem with taking advice, don't ask for it then or learn to take it.
>
>  
>
> You made a model that has too few quads to even animate properly and now you drop examples from tripple A games, everyone can make something like that from refference pictures in minutes, it doesn't require talent or skill, just a basic understanding of modeling tools and a realy basic modeling tutorial, there's nothign you can screw up there if you have those two, there's no black magic here, you're not doing anything exceptional.
>
>  
>
> Show that you can make a propper UV map before you start giving people lectures on techniques they probably understand and can apply far better than you do. Mkay?

The number of quads is not that important if you know where to make the loop for bending. [ofc it won't look WOW]

I have seen even lower models than mine, properly animated.

**What I was talking about is that, my model is a BASE, it's not even yet finished, read the title "Low Poly Model WIP"**

**WIP = Work In Progress.**

**I stated above that the current model is just a base, I will have to add more things to it in order to become a final product, wich will be textured, rigged and animated.**

But it seems, guys like you always go full retard for some kind of reason, way too soon.

**If I wouldn't have been said that my model is a BASE and it's WIP, then yeah, you could have argued with me.**

**Like I said, Normal Maps are simulated from High Poly Meshes, I will make my model High Poly and I will use the Sculpt Mode, to make some nice details on it.**

**Then I will simulate the geometry on the duplicated Low Poly.**

This wasn't a tutorial, I have been stated that I'm not an expert at 3D modelling, but hell even I know something about mapping and styles, **and what BASE and WIP means**

You just start argues without thinking.

Allright, I got a bit ahead of myself. 

To rephrase, working with normal maps does not start with a low poly mesh, I mean, yeah, if you want to use that as a base mesh, subdivide it to coupple million polygons, sculpt the actuall model in zbrush, it makes sense, but I think showing this and asking for tips is a bit premature, as I said, it's as basic as it gets and there's nothing that can be said about it apart from the fact you followed your anatomical reference correctly. Showing a low res screenshot from a viewport, not even a render and talking about normal maps do come out as a bit random.

Normal maps workflow is basically the oposite of starting with a low polygon base, unless as I said - you want to drop it into zbrush and subdiv it a lot, then again, working with z-spheres and retopology tools is faster and easier. You make a highly detailed model, you bake it to normals and apply that to a simplified geometry.

And yes, immagine that your high horse attitude and colorfull underlining can get on people's nerves.