Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rate my maps.

viesty

These are some of maps for my online project, how do you like them?  :huh:

![](http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3763/screenshot1hz.png)

![](http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3383/screenshot2h.png)

![](http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3248/screenshot3lg.png)

Map 1:
This map is very bare. There are indeed a few bits of detail, but they almost seem like they are there just to distract from the vastness of the map. There's nothing wrong with filling a map with blank space. In fact, for an area like a sewer, you'd prefer it to be narrow tunnels. When's the last time you heard of a sewer with wide open rooms bigger than a house? Also, watch your tiles. There's a couple spots when your walls are different colors.

Map 2:
Again, very bare. I understand what you're trying to do in this map. You are trying to show the transition from temperate to cold climate. It doesn't come across well. The tiles of the bridge switch awkwardly half way through. You have some random spires with trees atop them - I assume to show that the dead trees are now becoming dead trees with snow on them. That is very unrealistic. First of all, a random spire wouldn't develop naturally like that, and secondly, there'd be no way a tree and grass would grow atop it. If you want to transition, do it between maps. It'll save you that mid-map division problem and look a lot better. Also, judging by there being three bridges (or parts thereof) in a single map, it looks like someone has built a connecting path of random spires across some bottomless pit. If it takes more than one bridge to cross, it's probably not the best place to build a bridge. Avoid the blankness in outside maps. It's okay indoors or underground to give a cramped feeling, but having a bridge over nothing is kind of silly. How would they build that bridge, especially given that it's 1) high enough to touch the clouds, 2) strung between very small masses of land, and 3) not even connected, but three separate bridges? Just something to think about because this is kind of an impossible map.

Map 3:
This map is slightly less bare, but in a bad way. This map seems cluttered. The fences you've put are supposed to define a path through the town, but it's way too restrictive. Your road is about 10% of the thickness of some of the lots the buildings are built upon. On top of that, the whole place is made of stone, yet you have trees, plants, fences, and even the buildings themselves constructed upon them as if that would work. It wouldn't. Add some grass in. It would make no sense to place cobble around everything in a town. The map still lacks many details, and the details that are there are out of place. When I think of a town, I'd expect to see some kind of path, and for detail pieces, maybe a well or bushes or something. Instead, you've got a mailbox that is slightly anachronistic, suits of armor that would never be outside, a random stack of wood in the middle of the road blocking movement, a couple trees that make the fenced in area even narrower, and two shrubs that sprouted in the middle of the road. They don't just not make sense in most places, but also severely restrict movements. Note that I referred to your path as the "fenced in" area. Your path should not seem like it is the fenced in part. It should seem like _the path_ is open, and _the buildings_ are fenced, not the other way around.

Overall, it's a decent start, but there needs to be a bit more sense to them. Maps are the visual representation of your game, not a blank piece of paper that you need to fill completely to get the most out of it. You don't need to fill the whole map with just one thing, and you don't need to try to mash too many things in. Just make enough space for some elements to logically fit, and let the rest be paths to walk. If you need detail items, put them somewhere that makes sense, not in the middle of the road.