Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Portforwarding Question.

Lavos

Ok I have a Comtrend Wireless ADSL2+ Router Model: CT-5361T. It was issued by my internet service providing company.

Here is a picture or it on this link: http://www.goldtelecom.com/catalog/data/CT-5361T.jpg

Now here is my question. Are you still required to open ports on the router even though a lan line connected on lanX1 directly to the pc just to host a server?

You only need to use port forwarding if you are using a router. if your modem is plugged directly into the computer that is running the server then no you dont need to port forward.

->internet->modem->server = no port forward
->internet->modem->router
                              /  |  \
          little sisters pc    |    \
                                  |      \
                      Grannie's Pc    \
                                              \
                                              Server  = port forward

@Lavis:

> well its a modem/router built in. would port forwarding still count?

Nobody would ever build a router into a computer. A modem, however, is possible, but that's only used to make the analogue signal of a telephone cable digital so that a computer can use it and of course the other way round: digital to analogue. If your telephone cable, that is used as your internet connection, is directly connected to your computer, then you won't have to port forward since there is only one instance being connected to the network and there are no other potential instances. Only in case of a router or a HUB you'd have to port forward.

That however doesn't mean that you won't have to configure anything else. It is possible that your computer runs a firewall, which is basically the same.

Regards,
  Stephan.