Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spell Naming

shadowwulf

I am finishing up spells and need some very important feedback.
Spells are broken into categories based on range and area of damage. Each category yields 3 spells. I need to know which is a better naming convention. Should they all be unique:Flame, Fireball, Inferno? Or since they are just 3 versions of the same spell, should they be named Fireball, mega-Fireball, Giant-Fireball or something..

Definitely unique. Seyerdin only has a few spells per skill tree, but they are unique names. The ice tree has snowstorm, blizzard, and tempest, for example. It'd be odd, I think, to see blizzard, super-blizzard, and ultimate-blizzard or something. The only time I've really seen that pulled off well is in Final Fantasy, and that's only because they added unique suffixes and it stuck to their franchise quite well.

@Azure:

> I like the unique names. That's something I enjoyed since I played Golden sun.

Ah yes. Another good example. Loved casting Ragnarok and impaling my enemies with a giant sword! ;D

@Shadowwulfâ„¢:

> yeah thats what I have been doing… but of 250+ spells... I easily names 200... now im getting stuck LOL

Get a thesaurus if you haven't already. If not, resort to making them more unique. Give them special names and such. For instance, in Dungeons and Dragons, there's a rather generic spell called Burning Hands, but there are also more unique fire spells like Aganazzer's Scorcher. If your game fits that kind of mold, you could always throw in a lore reference.

well. I think you guys gave me a good idea… for BETA i am just releaseing the first of each spell. So i will stick with the base name. then as I add quests and lore, I'll add the better version in and give them names based on the lore. maybe...

Cinderburst, Tongues of Flame, Hellstorm
Icicle field, Freeze Skeleton (Talking their skeletal structure, not undead), Fimbulwinter
Sandblast, Earth's Angry Embrace, Vengeful Tremor
Howling gust, Wind rip, Forsaken of the Wind and Sky (The air leaves them… and their lungs)

Just some thoughts on naming for 3 forms of spell, directed AoE, single target, and Powerful AoE, all in an elemental vein.

HM: O' Man I will really need some help with another column I am considering adding. What the character's say when they cast the spell… I will be making it so when you cast fireball... the character actually says a short incantation. This has RP and Stategic values when you think about it. But yeah. I might do it... most likely will LOL

What ze monkee had said about using latin is a good idea.

One thing though, are these 200+ spells actually unique?

Oh yeah and in Tibia to cast instant magic you have to say the incantation (type it out in text). It can be fun, it does immerse you in the game a lot. (And from what I remember the old Ultima games were like this too.)

I had already started using archaic terminology and latin backgrounds for naming conventions with other things… so really it was a great help with continuing that feature.

I have 25 spells/skills for each element
Although there are 3 touch spells, 3 bolt, 3 large bolt, 3 location and 3 large location spells... each has completely different stats, AoE, DoT and range settings. The animations may be similar depending on the group, but they will be different.

So          fireballAnimation small    large      +explosion
Range      5        8          10
AoE        0        2          5
DoT        0        0          3
Damage  10        25        40