• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gameboy batteries

Xavi

@Robin:

> @Xavi:
>
> > Well maybe if you found a way to replace the batteries while the game is powered by the gameboy? I'd be impressed if you did.
>
> … you're suggesting we take off the cover of the game and unsolder a battery from the cartridge _whilst it's running and powered up?_

I'm talking very theoretically here. I mean technically if somebody did do that and somehow not mess it up, then you should be able to keep your data, right? I don't see why not.

@Xavi:

> I'm talking very theoretically here. I mean technically if somebody did do that and somehow not mess it up, then you should be able to keep your data, right? I don't see why not.

Because the Gameboy's power supply isn't connected to the cartridge's memory. >_>

@Robin:

> @Xavi:
>
> > I'm talking very theoretically here. I mean technically if somebody did do that and somehow not mess it up, then you should be able to keep your data, right? I don't see why not.
>
> Because the Gameboy's power supply isn't connected to the cartridge's memory. >_>

Well what I'm saying is that your like "Hey, I bet my Pokemon Yellow or whatever is about to run out of batteries! I should replace it before it does!" The problem is that if you do, you'll still lose your game data whether you do it before the battery runs out or not as soon as you take it out.
If you
1\. Turned on the gameboy
2\. Loaded your save data
3\. Somehow opened the cartridge while it's still in the gameboy
4\. Replaced the battery
5\. Saved the game again
Then you should technically be able to keep your game data even when you just replaced the battery. Get what I'm saying?

Yes, but you can't just ignore the fact that it's physically impossible to remove the cover whilst it's in the gameboy, and you're going to end up shorting out your entire cartridge and/or gameboy by fucking around with the circuitry whilst it's still on.

@Robin:

> Yes, but you can't just ignore the fact that it's physically impossible to remove the cover whilst it's in the gameboy, and you're going to end up shorting out your entire cartridge and/or gameboy by fucking around with the circuitry whilst it's still on.

@Xavi:

> I'm talking very theoretically here.

heh, I replaced the battery in my Pokemon Silver cart after I dropped it into a bucket of water. No soldering iron, just packed the area around it with non-conductive foam. keeps everything in place, easy as hell.

…wait, I sold that cart to Renzo. I wonder how it's holding up xD

Pokémon.. where is the time. I used to play yellow (as my friends had the other versions).
My game got deleted like 4 times, 1 time because I killed zapdos and rebooted the gameboy. Once with mew, and 2 times because the battery ran out? not sure.

Ah nostalgia!