Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Concepts of Pixel Art

Terraun

Okay, this is just a little tutorial I've made to maybe help some aspiring pixel artists with some basic concepts of what to do and what _not_ to do.

**Concept 1: Color Decisions~**

Color is one of the biggest factors in pixel art. If you have a bad color selection your art isn't going to look as good as it could look. A couple good ways to properly select colors are:

1) Trial and Error.

>! This is sometimes what I use. It may take a little while longer than other methods, but it for sure is one of the more precise methods. This method is making a base shape of whatever image you are doing and filling it with a base color. You **_always_** want to check your art after you make a change. An image at 800% zoom is going to look different than a image at 100% zoom.
  When preforming Trial and Error always think to yourself, "what kind of shades and highlights am I going to use?". If you're making a blue metal ball, you wouldn't make the base color luminous. If you were doing the Sun, or a lamp, you would. This method always helps with selecting correct colors.

2) Palette Editing.

>! This is one of the quickest and wide spread methods used in pixel art. This is using a set of base colors and drawing your image. After the image is completed if you need to change the colors you would just change the colors on your palette until you find a good set. This is a great method for newbie pixel artists but can get quite annoying at times.

3) Feedback.

>! This is probably the most important thing you can do in pixel art. Getting others opinions can really help. If you don't feel right about something in your color selection, ask a few other people. **the internet is your friend** communities like Eclipse are great places to ask for feedback on art.

**Concept 2: Shape**

Shape is another huge factor in separating good pixel art from mediocre pixel art. If you are making a building, you wouldn't shape it like a Ferris Wheel would you? The concept of shape will once again help you with your learning of pixel art.

1) The Line and Curve Tools.

>! The Line and Curve tools are 2 of the most helpful things in pixel art. People aren't perfect. It would take a lot longer to make a straight line than it would for a computer to. The Curve tool is perfect for making precise curves and angles. Now, these tools aren't always helpful. Don't let them fool you, depending on your project they can ruin the image. Some image's shapes are more meant for a natural randomized shape.
  Here's an example. A tree for instance, wouldn't have completely perfect edges would it? Sometimes you have to take the long route and hand pixel shape. It may be a pain but it can seriously impact your image believe it or not.

2) Progression

>! The most professional way to hand pixel shape is with progression. Progression is slowly moving on a curve by a pixels length each move.
>! Example:
![](http://i51.tinypic.com/23m1r1t.jpg)

**Concept 3: Shading**

Shading is the heart and soul of pixel art. Without correct shading your art will look dull, lifeless, and flat. Here is a few methods of shading to help get the idea of it.

1) Dithering

>! Dithering is a great technique that I use for almost any shading I do. Dithering is the idea of the shading or highlights fading out.
>! Example:
![](http://i55.tinypic.com/2z84tpl.jpg)

2) Pillow Shading

>! Pillow Shading is the worst method of shading with pixel art ever. **_Never_** do this. Pillow Shading is shading the edges of a image dark and working your way lighter towards the middle. Once again NEVER do this.

Well, that's all for now. I really hope I helped someone. If theres anything I missed, that you want me to add just ask!

Thanks~
Terraun.

@Azyru:

> looks pretty good, but if you added more pictures like one for pillow shading, one for dithering, etc.

Thanks. I have a image for dithering, but I forgot to add one for pillow shading I will in a little bit.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> If you're doing pixel art and don't understand what he's writing, you need to rethink your motives.
>
> Good tutorial though. I like more pics in these types of tutorials, but maybe it's because I'm a visual person.

Thanks again. Yeah, I agree, I could of added more pics. But at the same time I think giving someone a concept is better than giving them an image. If you give someone a concept of how to do something and they make their own ideas, I see it better than giving them an image and them just copying what they see.

@Azyru:

> Oh and also. Pillow shading and dithering aren't the only ways to shade something, they are just the most common.

I know. I was just giving concepts. That's how I learned to pixel, not by everything being fed to me on a silver platter. If you want to **ever** be any good, at any form of art, you have to take some things into your own account, learn some things yourself. Trial and error is your friend.