Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Changing the Client Name?

Valek

I was wondering if it was possible to change the client window name? My game name is displaying as what I want, but the window name is still "Eclipse Origins"

What I want to change:
![](http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/masterofmoo/EOrigins.png)

@Valek:

> Thanks for your help. Should I open it in VB6 and recompile the project for use? or can I simply edit it using notepad and attain the same result?

VB6 is a compiled language, not interpreted. You need to re-compile the project after every change.

@Robin:

> @Valek:
>
> > Thanks for your help. Should I open it in VB6 and recompile the project for use? or can I simply edit it using notepad and attain the same result?
>
> VB6 is a compiled language, not interpreted. You need to re-compile the project after every change.

Okay, I wasn't 100% sure. Is there any specific way I should compile it? Do I need to compile it as a whole with all of the included files or just compile what I am making the change too?

I have searched for a tutorial on this but haven't had any success. Thanks for your quick response time by the way I appreciate it.

@Valek:

> Okay, I wasn't 100% sure. Is there any specific way I should compile it? Do I need to compile it as a whole with all of the included files or just compile what I am making the change too?
>
> I have searched for a tutorial on this but haven't had any success. Thanks for your quick response time by the way I appreciate it.

You'll need to load the project by the project file (.vbp) otherwise it won't know what it's doing. You should be editing the source code by having this loaded in VB6 as well. Editing the individual modules and forms is bad practise.

@Robin:

> @Valek:
>
> > Okay, I wasn't 100% sure. Is there any specific way I should compile it? Do I need to compile it as a whole with all of the included files or just compile what I am making the change too?
> >
> > I have searched for a tutorial on this but haven't had any success. Thanks for your quick response time by the way I appreciate it.
>
> You'll need to load the project by the project file (.vbp) otherwise it won't know what it's doing. You should be editing the source code by having this loaded in VB6 as well. Editing the individual modules and forms is bad practise.

Sorry, its my first time using VB6 I had to purchase it from EBAY and it didn't come with any reference material. By source code I assume you mean the files located in "SRC" (client & server folder)

Do I create a new project and simply input all of the files associated with the engine? I am sure you get stupid questions like this all the time… haha

To compile just go to File… Compile as .exe or something like that. I don't remember actually and my VB6 edition is not in english ;D
Anyways is better to work directly with the source rather than with the compiled executable if you're going to make changes to the code.

To open the project in VB6 just click the .vbp files (client and server .vbp). That would load all the files located in the src's folders.

@Alatar:

> To compile just go to File… Compile as .exe or something like that. I don't remember actually and my VB6 edition is not in english ;D
> Anyways is better to work directly with the source rather than with the compiled executable if you're going to make changes to the code.
>
> To open the project in VB6 just click the .vbp files (client and server .vbp). That would load all the files located in the src's folders.

OOoh! I see. Okay, I will give this a try. I hope my computer doesn't explode :)

Okay, I opened the VB6 file entitled "client" this opened up all of the forms, modules and class modules. I made the changes and compiled the new data, however its asking me for database information when I attempt to compile the project. Maybe I am not compiling it properly or with the right tool?

@Robin:

> Screenshot it.

My apologees, I figured it out, I am just dumb. I went to "make ***.exe" this compiled it into the stand alone .exe that replaced the one I had previously. I am dumb. But I figured it out and I am very excited now ! :D

You don't need to do a full .exe re-compile to test your code, either. Just press CTRL + F5 whilst in the IDE and it'll do a quick compile for you so you can test it out.

I remember when I did my first ever game feature in VB6\. Playing the Beyblade theme music midi in the main menu. Good times.

@Robin:

> You don't need to do a full .exe re-compile to test your code, either. Just press CTRL + F5 whilst in the IDE and it'll do a quick compile for you so you can test it out.
>
> I remember when I did my first ever game feature in VB6\. Playing the Beyblade theme music midi in the main menu. Good times.

Wow thats perfect, its like a mini-debug mode but doesn't make me commit to anything, thanks so much Robin.

@Robin:

> @Valek:
>
> > Wow thats perfect, its like a mini-debug mode but doesn't make me commit to anything, thanks so much Robin.
>
> No, thank _you._ It's very rare that I get to help someone who's both eloquent and willing to learn.

Well your help is appreciated none the less. It's pretty nice now that I can test code in real time and can actually compile what works :)