Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sweet Chat (WIP)

unknown

Good you're actually reading my post. Chat doesn't sound too interesting, I know. I hope THIS chat is a little more interesting and here's why:

It uses..

**NodeJS**
This is an incredibly cool and fast technology. The server and client are written in javascript. The server uses chrome's V8 javascript engine for interpreting the code.. If you're even the least bit interested in web applications check out this [incredibly cool technology](http://nodejs.org/)

**Socket.IO**
Websockets are the future of realtime web applications. They're real connections, none of this ajax BS (they're fast). Unfortunately websockets aren't everywhere *glares at IE*. Socket.IO is a library that will use websockets if they exist and fall back to another method if they do not. This means it works in IE. Yay!

So what does this all mean?
It's **FAST**
also my css is sexy

[Try it out for yourself](http://65.60.164.231:4141)
[![](http://I.imgur.com/ni2iN.png)](http://imgur.com/ni2iN)

**Future features**
- Open ID for accounts
- Mongo DB for admin privileges
- Lots of commands and random shit

**Known bugs**
- Sometimes it connects twice with two different methods causing strange results.. It's fairly rare, if you encounter this problem please post and I can look at your log.
- It's crashed a few times.. I think it has to do with XHR Multipart. So if you're on a kindle, please don't connect :P

Just tried it out, looks pretty slick. Though I encounterd an error whilst being on IE8.

> Connecting to 173.230.135.156…
> Connecting using flashsocket
> Connecting using htmlfile
> Connection established.
> Please enter your username:
> Socuine has joined chat!
> o_o
> Disconnected from server!

I entered my second message whereafter the Disconnection message appeard,  but great stuff man. Can't wait to test out the finished product. :]

Thanks!

Interesting error.. I have not tested it in IE much, it looks like it's that strange error where socket.io connects twice. I'll look into it..

Maybe jQuery is calling the page load event twice? It helps that people test because that's a difficult thing to produce.

@xXwArIoXx66:

> Looks really cool, got online. You should be able to change your name, /who, everything you said, maybe channels? /create channel namehere?

Yea I agree with everything you said. Channels would be sweet. We could potentially have tabs at the top with different channels. It crashed a few times.. I think it's something socket.io is doing.. I'm going to try to reproduce & fix tonight

@Mr.:

> A downloadable client for a web chat… Sounds rather silly :P

It can be useful.. I have a friend who can't use the web version at work (it's blocked or something).

**Features to be rolled out tonight**
/who
Welcome Message
Sending JSON objects instead of delimitating on ,'s

Thanks to everyone who is testing, it really helps.

@unknown:

> Yea I agree with everything you said. Channels would be sweet. We could potentially have tabs at the top with different channels. It crashed a few times.. I think it's something socket.io is doing.. I'm going to try to reproduce & fix tonight
> It can be useful.. I have a friend who can't use the web version at work (it's blocked or something).
>
> **Features to be rolled out tonight**
> /who
> Welcome Message
> Sending JSON objects instead of delimitating on ,'s
>
> Thanks to everyone who is testing, it really helps.

And it connects faster and better for me than firefox!