Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming Question for Robin

sickporsche

Hey Robin,
I'm interested in programming, but I have no clue where to start. How did you start out? Which language did you first start to learn, and built off of that to become more advanced in what you do now. Do you know java? And do you think java is a good language for game engines or do you prefer something else?

I'm basically starting out with programming and I wanted to ask someone that is good in this field.

This is for educational purposes.

I started out messing around on an old BBC Micro when I was a kid. Back then it was a command based interface so you had to learn pretty quickly the basics of a computer.

I started messing around with an old BBC BASIC reference manual and got some basic if…else statement programs set up. Eventually I learnt how to use DRAW and MOVE and got some grid-based line art going on and made some little text-based RPGs out of it all.

I didn't have any tutorials, I didn't have anyone to ask for help (Didn't get the internet till I was in my mid-teens) so was basically brought up to think of what I wanted to do then do the research in to the possible commands I could use to reach that goal.

I obviously learnt BBC BASIC as my first language. I then did basic markup and scripting when I got my first PC. From there I used an old copy of VB6 a friend gave me and used that for my games from then on.

Keep in mind I'm not a programmer. I can't do maths for shit and any real programming is going to require you to know maths pretty well. I have really one skill in life and that's my ability to bullshit. VB6 is a good language for bullshitters. My code is probably ugly and slow to anyone with any real talent, but what I can do well is make stuff feel and look good. As anyone in the real world will tell you, presentation is everything.

Learning by yourself with out any help is very difficult but in the end is very rewarding.

Whats is the capabilities of VB6\. Could it comparable with C++ or Java? Is it used in the real world for IT, CS, or even game design(Obviously you can make games with it, but can it be used for large commercial companies?) ?

Basically what I'm trying to ask, is VB6 a good starting area before I take a step into Java or C++?

I appreciate that you answered, considering you are busy with EO and building you own game.

Someone said (I can't remember who or when, I think it was Robin though) that if you learn one language considerably well it is easier to move on to another. Personally VB6 (and VB.net) was a great stepping stone for me, it taught me basic OOP and other small things as well as letting me understand simple concepts while being a simple language.

I am no programmer but I say stick with VB6 until you can code fairly complex things (not huge game engine complex) and then look into other languages. Another fairly simple language would be python if you aren't a huge fan of VB6.