Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FPS

Conra

Oh right sorry. So i'll use locked. But where can i see the fps of my game because it was fps on the older versions of eclipse. When my server is unlocked i get about 23k cps with a dial up internet connection.

I am right… You can believe who ever you want though.
```
If Not CPSUnlock Then Sleep 1
```that is the actual line of code that locks it. If it is locked then it is going to sleep for 1 which means every server loop it will wait for 1 millisecond. Now that isn't a lot of time but dump 30 people on a server and you will start to see the effect.

Mike's actually partially right. Higher CPS means that the game will cycle more, and cause less lag, but with more strain. For most games, however, you'll do just fine with it locked. If your players end up complaining you can always unlock it during high-player times and lock it again later at night.

> Mike's actually partially right. Higher CPS means that the game will cycle more, and cause less lag, but with more strain. For most games, however, you'll do just fine with it locked. If your players end up complaining you can always unlock it during high-player times and lock it again later at night.

What you mean is it is using the entire cpu. Like I said. For a dedicated server you wan't to unlock it because you are not going to do anything else on that computer but host the server. Now if you are testing on your own pc and you want to have resources open for going on the web playing a copy of the client ect then locked is what you use.

> "unlock it during high-player times and lock it again later at night"

I would never do this for a serious game. Players expect efficiency all the time. A really serious game would have different servers for different time-zones but I don't think anyone here is going to do that. I still would leave my server on and running unlocked. You can always have scheduled maintenance and take it down for some "rest" lol. In this day and age running a computer 24 7 on max isn't so bad. It happens all the time. Hell I leave my ps3 on 24 7 with the folding at home on.

If you're hosting it on a dedicated server, you might as well unlock it. When I say "later at night", keep in mind that if you don't have many players from that time zone, it doesn't matter much if you unlock it. Since they're the only one on, they probably won't notice the difference. Even then, know your audience. During 5am (GMT) in the morning hardly anybody will be on your game.

> If you're hosting it on a dedicated server, you might as well unlock it. When I say "later at night", keep in mind that if you don't have many players from that time zone, it doesn't matter much if you unlock it. Since they're the only one on, they probably won't notice the difference. Even then, know your audience. During 5am (GMT) in the morning hardly anybody will be on your game.

If you are going to do that–although I see no point--then write it into the code to lock it during that time and unlock it after a certain time. That way it is at least automated. Just in case you sleep in or something :). I would probably have a admin override command so if you don't have access to the server right away you could still tell it to unlock. I still find it pointless though.

Edit: I guess you could even modify it to unlock it after a certain amount of people logged in. That is probably the best solution.

@Mikekan13:

> Edit: I guess you could even modify it to unlock it after a certain amount of people logged in. That is probably the best solution.

Yeah, after I posted that message I was thinking about that. Maybe even set the limit to it starts when anybody logs in and stops when nobody is logged in. That would be the best way to do it.

> Yeah, after I posted that message I was thinking about that. Maybe even set the limit to it starts when anybody logs in and stops when nobody is logged in. That would be the best way to do it.

I agree. That would be the best for anybody.

Just keep messing with it until you find what your server needs. It's fairly simple run a whole day with it locked see if anyone complains then do the next day unlocked once again keep doing it until you get a wide amount of complants or find what your sever needs.