Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Isometric

MoonLite

You'll need to reprogram the DirectX 8(I think that's what EO uses). Or you could "Fake it" Basicly draw your tiles so they look Isometric, and make your character same way, or you could reprogram it all. Isometric math is kinda difficult if your new to programming.

@Tivoilos:

> You'll need to reprogram the DirectX 8(I think that's what EO uses). Or you could "Fake it" Basicly draw your tiles so they look Isometric, and make your character same way, or you could reprogram it all. Isometric math is kinda difficult if your new to programming.

@Tivoilos:

> You'll need to reprogram the DirectX 8(I think that's what EO uses). Or you could "Fake it" Basicly draw your tiles so they look Isometric, and make your character same way, or you could reprogram it all. Isometric math is kinda difficult if your new to programming.

"Faking it" occurs by using 3D (and textures) instead. Drawing isometric tiles and mapping the mouse cursor's position are both mathematically "complex", but are what all 2D isometric games use (considering pixel art looks better than textures, compare the art from Favour the Gods with [this](http://imgf.tw/120635099.png) from my pixel art album. [Here](http://trac.bookofhook.com/bookofhook/trac.cgi/wiki/OverviewOfIsometricEngineDevelopment) is an overview though, to get you started.

Regards,
  Stephan.

> "Faking it" occurs by using 3D (and textures) instead. Drawing isometric tiles and mapping the mouse cursor's position are both mathematically "complex", but are what all 2D isometric games use (considering pixel art looks better than textures, compare the art from Favour the Gods with this from my pixel art album. Here is an overview though, to get you started.

The math isn't that hard. Trust me if I can understand the math then anyone can.
Also… You spelled it Favour... man I am going to have an international issue with my name  :P

@Mikekan13:

> The maths isn't that hard. Trust me if I can understand the maths, then anyone can.
> Also… You spelt it Favour… man I am going to have an international issue with my name  :P

Wait, are you using 2D blitting or actual 3D objects with textures and billboarding for the sprites?

As for your concern about internationalisation: be sure to support British English.

Regards,
  Stephan.

> Wait, are you using 2D blitting or actual 3D objects with textures and billboarding for the sprites?
>
> As for your concern about internationalisation: be sure to support British English.

Draw 2 triangles and slap a texture on it

Lol im tired
Good thing I watch Doctor Who!!  :cheesy:

@Mikekan13:

> 3d with billboarding.
>
> Good thing I watch Doctor Who!!  :cheesy:

Then the mathematics behind it are way easier than if you were to be using 2D blitting (or an orthogonal 3D projection which acts like 2D "blitting"), which is my preference of doing isometric projections (since pixel art allows much more detail).

@Mikekan13:

> Draw 2 triangles and slap a texture on it
>
> Lol im tired
> Good thing I watch Doctor Who!!  :cheesy:

LOL, at you changing that quite a few times. I wonder what kind of algorithm you've deployed for the rendering: currently, I'm guessing back-to-front per-layer "cube" rendering, the mousemaps are easy for you, in your case (since it's all cubes à la Minecraft). [This](http://imgf.tw/745028014.png) is my case for isometric rendering, but I might be doing things in a complex way.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Mikekan13:

> see.
>
> Edit: I mean technically it is 3d as I am rendering vertices but I make no use of a z axis. So it is rendered in 2d with all the maths.

Technically, it's rendered through a 3D API using an orthogonal projection, then I do understand the way you work (your cubes looked like actual cubes using textures though, so I presumed that you used 3D at first).

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Mikekan13:

> Rendering is done in a diamond formation from top to bottom starting at lowest layer and working up.

And that's why it is simple: you are ignoring the fact that you are blitting non-visible surfaces (which is fine, until your FPS is too low).

Regards,
  Stephan.

Yes, since it is a diamond some of the blocks are not seen but it isn't too much of a problem.
I am averaging 50fps with 7 layers visible on the shittiest pc ever. I don't see a problem till I start playing with the shadows.

2ghz
256 mem
onboard graphics

That is also while running the server, photoshop, and some tunes in the background