Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happens to it?

IFX

So, I was wondering what happens to data you send a server? like useless data? for example lets say I'm in EO3, and At the bottom of all of the C(somepacketnamehere) b.s., i where to put one that the server didnt have. and send something to the server using that. what would it do? because obviously its nothing, but why doesn't it error from unknown information? or react in some negative way?

I honestly didn't understand what you are trying to say. From the looks of things, I think you are trying to say what would happen to a packet with no data in it? 

Well it's up the the person who writes the code to decided what happens to a packet. There are some packets like CPing and SPing that don't need any data. They are just used to calculate the ping. They do get handled in their respective method. As soon as the data is received the client/server handles it based up on the packet index (packet index = C(somepacketnamehere). If their is some actual data with in the packet then the programmer can specify to read the data. If not something else can happen when the packet is received such as sending back a packet to the sender (like in the case of the ping packet).

> I honestly didn't understand what you are trying to say. From the looks of things, I think you are trying to say what would happen to a packet with no data in it? 
>
> Well it's up the the person who writes the code to decided what happens to a packet. There are some packets like CPing and SPing that don't need any data. They are just used to calculate the ping. They do get handled in their respective method. As soon as the data is received the client/server handles it based up on the packet index (packet index = C(somepacketnamehere). If their is some actual data with in the packet then the programmer can specify to read the data. If not something else can happen when the packet is received such as sending back a packet to the sender (like in the case of the ping packet).

What I was asking is what happens when a server gets a packet it doesn't know what to do with? because I did send the server a packet that wasnt defined on the server, and it didn't react. So obviously nothing harmful happened, but is there anything that might have happened? what could possibly be harmful about it?

> What I was asking is what happens when a server gets a packet it doesn't know what to do with? because I did send the server a packet that wasnt defined on the server, and it didn't react. So obviously nothing harmful happened, but is there anything that might have happened? what could possibly be harmful about it?

If a packet is received where the server doesn't know how to handle it then it simple drops it and does nothing. This could happen if the PacketIndex is invalid or a handler has not been provided to an existing PacketIndex. On client-side the client assumes it is an old version and isn't up-to-par with the server and shuts itself down.

Check out the HandleData method in modHandleData on client and server. There should be 2 ifs where it checks where it checks if the packet num is smaller than 0 or greater than CMSG_Count/SMSG_Count.