Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Desert tribe

mhez

The cliffs have nice shape, but overall have a lot of errors in both design and consistency. Try to mix it up a bit instead of them all just being round, and try to keep heights the same with aligned cliffs. Some of the cliffwork south is kind of awkward too.

Imo, there's too many cliffs.  When I said terrace them I didn't mean you should make random cliffs everywhere.  Then take out the grass on the desert, it adds too much contrast and makes it hard to see the overall scene.  Remember, A designer reaches perfection not when there is nothing else to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.  The map just needs to be beautiful and give an impression of the scene.  Basically make it have good atmosphere, look good, and work with your game.

@asdfawefasdf:

> Imo, there's too many cliffs.  When I said terrace them I didn't mean you should make random cliffs everywhere.  Then take out the grass on the desert, it adds too much contrast and makes it hard to see the overall scene.  Remember, A designer reaches perfection not when there is nothing else to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.  The map just needs to be beautiful and give an impression of the scene.  Basically make it have good atmosphere, look good, and work with your game.

Too many cliffs? Why dont you go to the grand canyon and yell "MOTHER NATURE THERE ARE TOO MANY CLIFFS HERE!" see where it gets you?

The cliffs are fine. When I first saw the SS I focused in on the middle and went out… well middle-ish.

Well, since many people said that the cliffs were wrongly mapped, I started looking for maps containing cliffs on the forum, but I wasn't happy with the result, most of them were kind of simetrical making them boring or artificial.. the effect I wanted to create was more natural looking cliffs.. about keeping the same height with aligned cliffs, personaly I've never found a cliff which was "aligned" with another one, neither one with the same height or something similar, that's why I tried to do something different from almost every map on the forum. Cliffs are not simetrical, and they are not aligned, that was what I tried to represent.
Maybe I didn't search deep enough on the forums for a decent cliff map but none of the maps I found was something I would like to see on a game, but that's just my opinion.

@Purgatory:

> Too many cliffs? Why dont you go to the grand canyon and yell "MOTHER NATURE THERE ARE TOO MANY CLIFFS HERE!" see where it gets you?
>
> The cliffs are fine. When I first saw the SS I focused in on the middle and went out… well middle-ish.

Well, thats what I was trying to point out, thank you xd!

Anyways!, thank you all for the criticism and ideas, I will surely post more maps so you can help out later :cheesy:

I will change the tents to stone buildings, and MAYBE change some cliffs haha. When I'm ready I will update it!

Edit:
UPDATED!