Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Organizing images…

SeeingBlue

I was wondering if anyone had tried to organize all the different images one could use in their project..

For example it would be nice if all your items weren't just labeled 1- 100000\. Instead a system that divided the different items from each other into separate folders would be ideal.

How much work would something like this take & has it already been done?

Just thinking over it, I come to the conclusion that it's probably going to be a big deal..

Image IDs are stored in the various constructs as a number. The caching loops all use numbers.

Is it easy to do? For me, yes. If you're asking how to do it in here then you won't find it easy and you'll probably end up butchering your project.

You're free to try, though.

Found the Code.

```
Public Sub CheckItems()
Dim i As Long

' If debug mode, handle error then exit out
    If Options.Debug = 1 Then On Error GoTo errorhandler

i = 1

While FileExist(GFX_PATH & "Items\" & i & GFX_EXT)
        NumItems = NumItems + 1
        i = i + 1
    Wend

If NumItems = 0 Then Exit Sub

ReDim DDS_Item(1 To NumItems)
    ReDim DDSD_Item(1 To NumItems)
    ReDim ItemTimer(1 To NumItems)

' Error handler
    Exit Sub
errorhandler:
    HandleError "CheckItems", "modDatabase", Err.Number, Err.Description, Err.Source, Err.HelpContext
    Err.Clear
    Exit Sub
End Sub
```
From the looks of it I would have to have more than just "Items." Looks like I would have to create new names to call the different types of items I would create.. Is this correct or would editing this source to look in multiple directories be ok?

I believe it would be to much trouble to distinguish between the different "items"

@Robin:

> Game development is not the right career path for someone with OCD, believe me.

I like things to be neat, very neat.
Although, the system already in Origins can be made neat.

Just group certain items together, so put your helmets from 1 - 20 and then your swords from 21 - 30 etc. Makes certain items easier to find too.

Grouping items by type is just silly. You'll always be adding new items with the same type.

Group them by tier. Add currency as the first one, then the level 1 items, then the level 5 items etc. etc.

Wanting to put them in to folders is not being neat, it's trying to force a bad form of organisation on to an engine which requires optimisation.