Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Skill vs Standard Level system

Zyvo

My brother and me had a, Debate the other day on which system would be easier to both understand and program. I'm looking to the eclipse community on help with this one.

1) Skill system, which allows players to level their skills, and then those skills grow your character in all aspects.

2) Level system where each stat governs a different skill's power, and upon each level the player gets to add points into each skill.

(Skills are not spells, let's just get this straight.)

A second discussion we had was if there are 3 types of armor which are created in different ways, should there be more then 1 skill for the three?

Yea, skill trees are WAY better gameplay wise. Players feel deeper in the game when they know they have to make a choice. Skill Trees being a big choice because your investing your earned points into a certain type of skill. You can split it up evenly, or just go all out on one branch.

With a skill leveling system, it's good for a sense of growing as you use the skills more often. But with this system you could just grind time and level ALL skills to max. I think it can be unbalanced.

Win: Skill Tree!

Not really a "Skill Tree" more like a skill bunch.

Example:
You have 15 skill areas, and you have to spend time leveling each on it's own. Say you normally use swords, you will be growing your Sword Proficiency skill, but not your Blunt skill.

But there would be more then just combat related skills in there too. Say Animal Control. Obviously with a leveling & point system you would be able to grind and never spend time with raising animals, but could max it in a few levels; But with a system entirely based on leveling each skill as it's own you'd actually be required to spend time in the area your trying to Level.

What would you say about this Skill based system then?

[Edit] The Skill Based system was my Idea, the Other one was his and based off of the "The Elder Scrolls IV".