Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Add web server support to the main server.

olife1

All right well i know that i dont post alot but i was thinking why not design a server that can handle web service as well and not have the servers separated.

possible benefits:
**Direct web service / main server communication**

* Things such as login and forums management is directly handled by a single web server.
* Server can be controlled via the website.
* Stats could be changed and administrated from website
* Bug reporting could be easily managed
* all sorts of site designs and site systems could be made
* etc

And you want to have all of this in one VB App that is also running the game server?

A much better idea would be to have a Game Server and an Authentication Server. I know that a couple of people here have done it successfully. Game Server handle all game related stuff while the Authentication Server handle the accounts and also have access to the web database.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Akio:

> Sorry but Rithy58 is right. No way one server would do that all, so insufficient.

The main problem isn't having them both integrated into one program; the problem is making an entire web server in VB6.

If you really wanted to do this, a good way to do so would be to install Apache/a real webserver in the directory above the server. This way, the server could just load the characters file, and using PHP/C/whatever language you like, could read the character files itself.

Of course, the above is in no way a replacement for a MySQL database and an actual login system.

@olife1:

> i really appropriate the comments. thanks for everyone's input.
>
> * * *
>
> also while where on the subject of solar eclipse, why not right it to run on the jboss application server?

Don't double post. That's against the ru–

@Scrooge:

> It's called the 'Modify' button. Use it.

FF Robin. You ninja.

Ontopic:
@olife1:

> also while where on the subject of solar eclipse, why not right it to run on the jboss application server?

That version is no longer in development. Hasn't been for years.