Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stomp! 2D | Java Singleplayer Sidescroller Engine!

[INFO]
http://www.stomp2d.x10host.com/
**If you are intrested in joining please send me a PM! Java coders and designers are priority but web developers are also nice.**

Hello everyone! 

Stomp! 2D is being made in Java. It is a 2D single player sidescroller game engine. Let's talk about the two different versions of the Stomp! 2D game engine. There will be two editions of Stomp! 2D.

The first version is Stomp! 2D Barebones, it will be open source and to make any changes, add features, etc.. you will have to edit the source using a Java IDE of your choice (I recommend Eclipse, It's the IDE the engine is being coded in). Unlike Stomp! 2D Premier it will not have a built-in map editor (the map editor will be included in the engine as a standalone). 

The second version is Stomp! 2D Premier, this is a fully fledged standalone game engine software. It will feature a built-in map editor, asset manager, menu editor, and code editor. The scripting language the code editor will use is Lua. Stomp! 2D Premier is NOT open source which means to do anything code related you will have to use the code editor. If you are looking to customize your game a lot and are going to be re writing features, etc… I would recommend to use Stomp! 2D Barebones.

Now let's talk about release dates.

The first release (1.0.0) of Stomp! 2D Barebones will come out approx. mid June, early July. With the BETA versions being released approx, early June.
The first release (1.0.0) of Stomp! 2D Premier will come out approx. early 2016\. With the BETA versions being released approx, late 2016.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers, 
Hackertatio

Hello everyone!

I am sad to announce that I am pushing the release of the alpha build of the Stomp! 2D Barebones engine due to school, other projects, and the engine still has a few things I need to fix, and add. I am hoping to release it on Friday June, 5, 2015 but I can't make any promises. Rest assured I WILL release it in June.

Thanks!
Sorry for any inconvienience

Cheers,
Hackertatio

@'YourBestNightmare':

> @'Sekaru':
>
> > Lua isn't an acronym.
> >
> > What framework are you using to make this?
>
> Sekaru you joined again just to fix grammar? Da teacher.
>
> @GalacticGlum What Lua backend are u using? LuaJ right?

I don't know what Lua backend I'll be using yet, but I'll defiantly look into LuaJ.

@'GalacticGlum':

> @'YourBestNightmare':
>
> > @'Sekaru':
> >
> > > Lua isn't an acronym.
> > >
> > > What framework are you using to make this?
> >
> > Sekaru you joined again just to fix grammar? Da teacher.
> >
> > @GalacticGlum What Lua backend are u using? LuaJ right?
>
> I don't know what Lua backend I'll be using yet, but I'll defiantly look into LuaJ.

LuaJ is slow, don't use it ;)

@'YourBestNightmare':

> @'Sekaru':
>
> > Lua isn't an acronym.
> >
> > What framework are you using to make this?
>
> Sekaru you joined again just to fix grammar? Da teacher.

yeah.

@'GalacticGlum':

> Oops I accidentally wrote Lua in all caps. :P and I'm using Java 2D if that's what you are asking.

learn LWJGL/Slick/LibGDX. don't bother with Java2D.

Also, for Lua, you can use my implementation. It will be finished probably next week and soon it will be approved as libGDX 3rd-party extension, so also I redcomend you to switch to libGDX and you will have everything you need in one package. Here is link to my Lua implementation (based on LuaJava): https://github.com/nondev/nonlua/tree/experimental

Thanks for everyone's advice but the first and current versions will be made in Java, I do plan to make different versions for different languages. (i.e C#.NET XNA, VB.NET, HTML 5). Although for now it's Java. Keep in mind not only will the Stomp! engine be a awesome engine, :D it will also come bundled with free to use, copyright safe resources (around 500 resources, that number will grow) made by me and other people willing to donate their resources or willing to make. Keep in mind the resources will only be available when the release version comes out (the release version is version 1.0.0).

@'James':

> HTML 5 would be better Java is kind of being phased out

lol. good one.

there's no point trying to big it up if you're going to use Java2D. no one will bother using it since lib, Slick and LWJGL offer so much more.

• 3 weeks later...
You can read this on the official Stomp! 2D site too!
http://stomp2d.x10host.com/showthread.php?tid=5

–--------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody!

I never actually got to release Stomp! 2D Barebones and that is because, Stomp! 2D Premier is in the works and is actually pretty far into development. I can't show any screenshots at this time because it looks ugly but it is coming together.

-------------------

Stomp! 2D Premier Information!

It's scripting languages will be lua but I intend to make a custom scripting language that is similar to visual basic for a easier scripting experience.

Stomp! 2D Premier is made in Java and I'm looking for other Java developers that are willing to help develop this engine.

I plan to release a development build of Stomp! 2D Premier somewhere around August but screenshots will be posted in approximately two weeks after I clean up the GUI.

The GUI of the engine will be somewhat similar to Unity. There will be a level editor tab, a game preview tab, a properties tab, asset tab, console tab, etc... and all of this will be dockable to where ever you want it to be inside the engine. There will be multiple themes. Dark, Bright, and more to come. There will be a built in code editor with syntax highlighting and all that jazz!

If you would like to suggest a feature go ahead!

• 3 weeks later...