Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD CPU SOCKET HELP.

IFX

So, ive been doing some massive research on processors because even though most of my computer is up to standards, my processor frankly sucks. I've been looking at the AMD A10 series, because right now i have an A10 5745 and want to upgrade, but ive realised something. the A10 5745 seems to have a socket totally different from all the reast of amd's A10 sockets. 

This causes some major conflict for me. Researching the socket i came to realise that there is pretty much nothing out there information wise for it (ts an FP2), and almost all other A10 processors run either an FM2, or an FM2+.

Now after some really foolish google image searching, ive come to the conclusion that the FP2, and the FM2+ are identical. i dont know about the FM2.

Ultimately, what im getting at is 2 questions.

A: Is it possible that these two processor sockets are cross compatible? I'd kill for an A10-7870K.

or B: Is it possible to go to a professional and have the socket on my motherboard replaced with an FM2+?
~IFX

Pretty sure the FM2+ socket is backwards compatible, but not sure about FM2 being compatible with FM2+ processors. AMD is a bit odd like that. I know my old AM3 socket could hold AM3+ processors, albeit with some downsides.

@'Joyce':

> Pretty sure the FM2+ socket is backwards compatible, but not sure about FM2 being compatible with FM2+ processors. AMD is a bit odd like that. I know my old AM3 socket could hold AM3+ processors, albeit with some downsides.

The large problem is that the processor is 159 dollars, and i cant go off of this just off of a hope that it will work. Also, the port i have isnt an FM2 or an FM2+. and the port im using i need to be Forwards, (repeat, forwards) compatible.
however, i do feel a lot better hearing this. knowing there is some chance.

@'Joyce':

> I'm aware, unfortunately I am no expert on AMD sockets as all my machines run Intel hardware (even the servers do). If you're not sure about it I'd check the socket specifications.

With how many issues ive been having lately with amd (even though its my preferred equipment) im considering going intel on my next upgrade. And trust me ive tried. I've been researching this for about 2 hours now. i need to go code something, clear my mind some.

@'Joyce':

> Are you sure you meant the  A10-5745? All I can find is a mobile processor under that name (a quick glance, am at work after all.)

yeah, im on a notebook. but i know no notebook processor will be able to compare to a desktop. I'm trying as hard as i can to get this thing as functional as a desktop.

In general notebook processor can't be replaced as they're soldered to the motherboard though? You may want to be sure of that as well before thinking of purchasing a new CPU.

Notebooks are generally not made to be upgraded.

@'Joyce':

> In general notebook processor can't be replaced as they're soldered to the motherboard though? You may want to be sure of that as well before thinking of purchasing a new CPU.
>
> Notebooks are generally not made to be upgraded.

Planning on getting this thing part tomorrow to see if it is soldered on. I hope its not. *crosses fingers* wish me luck.

@'Joyce':

> If it is, at least you know before you spent money on an upgrade!

If it is could i have someone remove the solders and put on a socket? if so that would be friggin' sick. i love this computer and i am beyond in love with its case. (its a purple dell inspiron m731R) (not meaning to brag, but its sleek, thin, and has a 17 inch screen)

Possibly, but I would generally advice against it unless you know what you're doing and you know the make and model are entirely compatible with the parts you would be replacing. As I said before, generally speaking notebooks are not designed to be upgraded.

@'Joyce':

> Possibly, but I would generally advice against it unless you know what you're doing and you know the make and model are entirely compatible with the parts you would be replacing. As I said before, generally speaking notebooks are not designed to be upgraded.

Well if it is welded on I'll take it down to the local computer store and see if I can get any more information. Honestly this something that I seriously want.