Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crystalshire Developer's Edition - Anyone Interested in Working Together?

Nic

As the title states, this is a thread for me to judge if there is enough support to complete the CS:DE Source so that it's a relatively stable (for what it is) platform to use as a fuller-game-screen alternative to EO2.  I realize that this release has several issues, but there is a lot of genuine interest in it.  Robin himself has recommended against using it, but I still believe it could become stable enough to be used on games.

I also realize that Robin has some strong opinions (oddly enough) on his own release, but as he is offering no alternative to the cookie-cutter EO2 Engine, I just wanted to post a single thread gauging interest in this idea.

Feel free to post comments, Robin I await your comments and maybe even an alternative as well?  I really wish you'd continue to develop an open-source (albeit dumbed-down version) of Crystalshire - but I can also see why you wouldn't.

-Nic

CS:DE can't run on one of my computers. CS:DE runs really slow on my casual desktop. CS:DE only runs normally on my gaming computer. I would say even if you made CS:DE stable there will be a lot of people unable to play. Maybe its just where I am from, but almost everyone I know in person doesn't have high enough spec's to run it.

Valid point, but it assumes that we wouldn't be able to change this.  Robin did, and his runs great on lots of different platforms.  I realize this would require rebuilding a lot of the source, but it is possible to do.

@Nic:

> Valid point, but it assumes that we wouldn't be able to change this.  Robin did, and his runs great on lots of different platforms.  I realize this would require rebuilding a lot of the source, but it is possible to do.

Actually the same applies with Robins game, after all it is the same engine. It can only run well on my gaming computer.

@Wing:

> CS:DE can't run on one of my computers. CS:DE runs really slow on my casual desktop. CS:DE only runs normally on my gaming computer. I would say even if you made CS:DE stable there will be a lot of people unable to play. Maybe its just where I am from, but almost everyone I know in person doesn't have high enough spec's to run it.

Your point is? Millions of people play world of Warcraft, runescape, and many other 3D high res games and yet this simple 2D engine will stop people? Highly doubt it.

@PhoenixWright:

> Your point is? Millions of people play world of Warcraft, runescape, and many other 3D high res games and yet this simple 2D engine will stop people? Highly doubt it.

CS:DE lags more to me than some 3d high res games. I'm saying if you're going for a community audience (eg: friends, school) It would not be as easily accessible. 
I believe my point is pretty clear, but I can see where you're getting at. Those games are huge, and can easily attract those millions of people who are _able_ to play.

@Eckhart:

> Seems like it's your internet. Regardless, that's an odd case. You have to have a pretty awful computer to not be able to run CS:DE.

They're very old, but for making games as a hobby I want all my friends to be able to play. Their computers can't run CS:DE properly due to frame rate, and my net book can't either.

My internet connection is 65 mbps, I was talking about frame rate on lesser computers.