Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Off-Topic Question]What to do?

Me Gusta

I was thinking of making a voxel based game. I just needed some input. I was wondering if any one knew what editor I should use if any. Also in what language should I make it in? I need any input that I can get on this.
Thanks In Advanced
~Me Gusta~

@Me:

> Also in what language should I make it in?

Stop. If you don't know what language you should/want to make it in, learn first. Start simple, maybe C#, python, or Java. Once you're fluent in one of those, ask yourself if you really want to make this game. Do you have the drive to do it? Do you have the time? Do you want to play this game? If your answer to those is yes, learn how to make a basic voxel engine. Depending on the complexity of your voxel based game idea and your personal preference, you should choose a language from there. Then just dive in and start coding, which you should be good at by now.

tl;dr: learn how to program first.

@Me:

> I was thinking of making a voxel based game. I just needed some input. I was wondering if any one knew what editor I should use if any. Also in what language should I make it in? I need any input that I can get on this.
> Thanks In Advanced
> ~Me Gusta~

Sounds like another "I WANNA MAKE MEINKRAFT!!!1!"

I had this idea a long time ago but gave up once I got to shaders in OpenGL. There are so many elements to 3D that it makes the whole thing insanely hard unless you have lots of previous programming knowledge. Even a 2D version would be hard. Start off by making a simple game before you dive in with 3D. That was one of the biggest mistakes I made.

@Jungle:

> I had this idea a long time ago but gave up once I got to shaders in OpenGL. There are so many elements to 3D that it makes the whole thing insanely hard unless you have lots of previous programming knowledge. Even a 2D version would be hard. Start off by making a simple game before you dive in with 3D. That was one of the biggest mistakes I made.

Thanks I'll do that. Also I've decided to make two small games one in C the other in C++