Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Application Hosting or No?

Erikai

A little back story to my question:

I made a game demo for a particular niche. So far, 5 out of 5 people in that community believe the game idea is a good base. My problem, however, is that I'm the only person working on it and PhP and JavaScript are about the only weapons in my arsenal. I ended up looking into Application Hosting though (tools like Microsoft Azure or Kalydo), and thought maybe I could get something like Eclipse hosted on the web so the game can be developed a little faster and be played on mobile. Of course, I'd have to recruit a team because I know nothing of VB or .Net or anything. The game isn't too demanding, or elaborate.

TL;DR
Do you guys think this is an okay idea to try out, or should I trash it?

EDIT:: Some insight I was parted with, if anyone else wants to see what I learned.

>! I can see where your curiosity came in. You're partially on the right track though. Most companies use very vague descriptions of what their products do until you've invested time into looking at what it really does. So, I'll try to give you more insight in as little words as possible.
>! Kalydo
Kalydo is, in one way, similar to Unity. They both CAN host 3D and 2D games on the web browser. To do this a plug-in must first be installed on a computer. The way they are NOT similar: Kalydo does not currently support mobile devices, unlike Unity. There is hope in the future though. They say they are working on it.
>! Microsoft Azure
This one is a bit more complex, but isn't hopeless. As you have guessed, using an extremely outdated engine like Eclipse would not work. At all. Period. Ever. But, you can use .Net and almost any Web-Based Engine made in Visual Studio to make a Web Browser game. The key word here is "Web Development". Microsoft has definitely thought about App Hosting in Browser to a large degree.
>! My advice would be to either stick with what you know, or use Visual Studio. The syntax isn't that hard to learn, I don't think. :)

VB6 nor .Net (aside from ASP which is not client-sided) won't run in a browser, so that idea you can scrap. (Assuming I understood what you meant?)

Your best bet would be HTML5 if you want it to work in browsers and mobile platforms alike.

I know they won't be able to run on a browser alone. I'm more or less talking about using something like Microsoft Azure or Kalydo to host the app, so it can be played on the web.
I'm not even sure VB6 could be hosted even with those software, but meh.