Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Music in foreign languages

Owen F

What do you guys think of it?
I mean, I listen to Rammstein, I've tried showing some of my friends. Some like it, but others are like "hurr it's in another language, I don't know what he's saying"
In my opinion it still sounds awesome, and even before I learned a thing about German (I'm getting better at it now) I still thought it sounded awesome, and if I was curious I would look up the lyrics.

I've listened to other bands in other languages and if it sounds good I like it, I don't really care about the language barrier.
What about you guys, what do you think?

It's one of the three reasons why I detest Eurovision (the other two being ignorance and non-EU countries participating): people don't bother to sing in their own language any more, because some people keep complaining about not being able to understand their language. Music is generally about rhythm and melody, not about the language being used to sing. In fact, most cartoon series are actually capable of pulling it off to have their entire series translated to other languages, including the accompanied songs (e.g. Phineas and Ferb). In the end, it doesn't make those songs sound much different: the melody and the rhythm remain the same, the language and therefore the sounds common to that language differ. It just makes it more accessible.

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.

As long as it sounds good, I don't care so much what the language is.
For example, a lot of Japanese metal can be quite good, even if I don't understand a bloody word they say (only because, so far, I haven't heard "Bukake" come up in a song).