Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[stupid question but curious]Eclipse and VB6

zarocmaster

Just out of curiosity, why is eclipse running on such an old VB platform?

I understand that E was probably made when everything was VB6 but wouldn't it be practical to upgrade.?

The amount of time spent upgrading versions of E could be spent into converting to a new VB witch would offer users more features and compatibility.

(I'm not trying to tell the team how they should be delegating there time, i think what they do is amazing as is)

Just a though, as i sit here thinking to myself why am i researching and trying to learn such an old version of VB XD

Mirage, which is our base engine was designed way back in the VB6 days. And upgrading it would work, BUT do keep in mind that the target audience for such 2D ORPGs generally has terrible computers that fail to run properly when using .NET framework or modern rendering techniques. So doing that is pretty pointless in general. Also, .NET has a lot of unessecary CRAP surrounding it's declarations and the OOP nature of it all makes things very confusing at times. .NET also becomes deprecated rather quickly, whereas VB6 is still supported to this day(and Windows 8), works fine and is simple as it can get.

Some people want the upgrade, and are doing so (Eclipse.NET), but there is very little benefit to actually doing so as every "improvement" you'll be able to implement also eats away a lot more precious resources, or destroys compatibility with older computers and hardware.

Do note that I am not dismissing the option, certainly there are ways to get a proper engine with a more advanced language. But it'll be too complicated for people, because most of the people we get here already have a hard time understand Basic. :]