Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some GUI Questions.

Kemerd

Simple. I want to know if it's possible to draw the chat to screen, so I can put an image behind it. Or how would I go about rendering a chatbox for it.

Also, I would like to know how to render other GUI parts, like the inventory and such. (That being, how to render a .png) Also, how would I go about incorperating this into my project? Would I have to somehow replace where the things go? (To render the inventory items and such.)

It's Eo 3.0.

It is possible to render each menu to the screen, but you will have to manually program it so that when each menu is activated and everything is rendered that there are certain regions that you catch the click of and treat it like the menu button. To do this i would look at the selecting a target methods and you will have to make it so the click even for the screen has all the appropriate logic to know when you are clicking a GUI button. The mapping of that logic will change based on what menus are currently open or not open. you would also have to do the manual mapping of the drag and drop of items and spells, the right clicks for the inventory and spells.

Drawing your GUI to the screen is possible but it is no small task it involves a lot of manually hard-coded values. And every time you decide to make a change to your GUI positioning you will have to change a large amount of code.

If you want my opinion, the end user wont care if its drawn on or if its a pic box, they wont be able to tell the difference if you do it properly. Why waste the extra effort that would make every change to your GUI 10 times harder from now till the end of your game's life? But that's just my opinion.