Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommend me an engine please

RTowner

_Hello all_

_I have a project in the works, and I wanted to know what engine you would recommend for what I need._

_Things I would like to have ingame_

_charecter spite change when press_

_left click to walk_

_8 directional walking_

_8 directional attacking_

_attack animations for all 8 direction_

_target nearest npc to mouse when press_

_auto run when using wasd controls_

_spells that shoot like arrow's_

_bow's sword's staff's and twohand weapons._

_8 charecters per account_

_party system_

_guild system_

_pet system_

_trade system_

also, I would like to have players be able to enter houses if they have the key.

i know its been done but i like it (=

_I would prefer an engine that is very admin friendly and very easy to monitor and change_

_thanks in advance for any advise and help_

Firstly, a note of presentation: you don't need to use italics for everything, it just makes it harder to read.

Back on topic; you wont find a single engine will all of those things already in it. However, you can easily add lots of those with various tutorials. I highly recommend using the official engine (EclipseVB 2.2.1).

Lots of the custom versions do have more features, however the official version is much stabler and better optimised; you have the added bonus that Matthew, our current head develop is actively working on it so you'll be able to receive much more support on it. The custom engines tend to drop off when it comes to support.

All of the engines are "admin" friendly and have a very simply, easy-to-use server. It has it's own GUI, so you won't have to remember lots of commands for things.

> Firstly, a note of presentation: you don't need to use italics for everything, it just makes it harder to read.

Just wanted it to look good (=

And thanks for the help Goose

downloading The official engine (EclipseVB 2.2.1) now.

thanks again.

If anyone else has anything to add or more advice I would love to read it.

Everything in moderation, dear boy.

The only other advice I can really give is to follow tutorials careful, and to familiarise yourself with the code before you try anything too ambitious. Also, don't rush into thinking you need so many systems/features. Chances are, you don't. Features make for a very bloated engine, which causes lag and generally poor performance. You'll be better off with a few key systems and stick to that.

Work on getting your game to a releasable state, then start thinking about extra features.

this very small list of features would lag out the engine? does anyone know what the max number of players this engine can hold at 1 time ?

I have 23 people.

family and friends that want to play my game.

can this thing not handle that with the features ive named?

if so, please let me know and possibly tell me a good low cost engine that can handle that

thanks again in advance

> this very small list of features would lag out the engine? does anyone know what the max number of players this engine can hold at 1 time ?
>
> I have 23 people.
>
> family and friends that want to play my game.
>
> can this thing not handle that with the features ive named?
>
> if so, please let me know and possibly tell me a good low cost engine that can handle that
>
> thanks again in advance

That number of features will almost certainly slow the engine down. It does depend how they're implemented though. The server can probably support ~50 people. Eclipse is by no means the most powerful engine.

What Bud is saying, is that you won't find a free engine with all of those things pre-built. It'll have to be a custom engine.

So either you pay someone to do it, or do it yourself. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> What Bud is saying, is that you won't find a free engine with all of those things pre-built. It'll have to be a custom engine.
>
> So either you pay someone to do it, or do it yourself. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

And to write it from scratch would come at a considerable cost in terms of USD and time. Your best bet would be to download EVB 2.2.1 and pay a few of the code monkeys that lurk around this community a few bucks here and there to implement the systems you require one at a time. You may be able to do one or more of them yourself or have them done for free. Take a look at the "Talent Center" forum and browse through the topics relating to coders/programmers for hire.

That's about the most honest answer I can give you. I'll be replying to your PM shortly.