Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Loading text from file.

Domino_

Okey, so I have text box called **txt_NPC_HP** and there is text that is loaded from ini file ( text = **Npc(NPCNum).HP** ).

So the problem is thet **txt_NPC_HP** is saved as **Npc(NPCNum).HP** but when it loads he got **"**Npc(NPCNum).HP**"** in place where im loading him see in pic. How to take off **"** or is there other way? xD

Edit

Will Val(**Npc(NPCNum).HP**) fix it and he will load normally information?

I'm a bit confused what you mean by this.

If the text is literally "Npc(npcnum).hp", why not just use

```

GetNPCMaxVital = Npc(NPCNum).HP

```

To cut off the first and last character of that string, use:```

GetNPCMaxVital = Mid$(frmConfig.txt_NPC_HP, 1, Len(frmConfig.txt_NPC_HP) - 2)

```
Edit: you may have to use 2 instead of 1 above. I forget if 0 is included as a position (probably not).

I'm trying to make the "Npc(NPCNum).HP" code load from text ini file so there is no need to open server in vb6, im trying to make like loading options.website but he adds " before and afther loaded code, is there any way to get rid of it?

As already mentioned, to remove the first and last character in a string:

```
GetNPCMaxVital = Mid$(frmConfig.txt_NPC_HP, 1, Len(frmConfig.txt_NPC_HP) - 2)
```

or

To replace quotations with nothing:

```
GetNPCMaxVital = Replace(frmConfig.txt_NPC_HP, Chr$(34),"")
```

it still gives run-time error '13' type mismatch…Ill send u pm with source, so u understand better the error, than i can explain. :DEdit

: I have ideo of importing old ee 2.8 script load how it worked from Main.txt but it would be very slow y ?

Oh… Now I see what you're doing. The issue is that GetMaxNPCVital is a long (a number), but NPC(npcnum).hp is a string, just a bunch of letters. The compiled program doesn't recognize it as an array address.

As far as I know, what you'd need to do is introduce VBScript calling into your VB6 program. The reason why this was dropped from EO is because compiled programs run much better. Basically, code is always written in human language which has to be translated in order for a computer to use. The problem with scripts is that they need to be translated each time they are used. Compiled programs are translated on compiling.

If you're still wanting to do this (read: large performance errors), search the internet for "VBScript calling in VB6" or look at the old codes of EE. Remember, while it's okay to load numbers and strings from INI files, loading scripts will cause your program to spend a lot of time consulting a translation dictionary.

I know that it will make engine bit slower(server) and i have already searched how its going in old ee 2.8 by loading from main.txt BUT in ee 2.8 he loads only when needed and every time when the function happens, i want to make that when server starts up he loads all information from ini file.

I'll look into this and maybe just make something like option menu who changes to different types specific functions and subs.

Best of luck. In some ways that will work well, like how class stats are only calculated once. You can easily store global variables like base block/crit chances, percentage modifiers to vitals/exp, etc. to use in procedures, without the need for any VBScript.

As far as I know, you can't store scripts in memory, only their outputs, so many things that use indexed variables will not be able to work just on init, unless you had unlimited memory. You could, for example, store every NPC's max hp in memory (imo a sloppy idea), but not player's vitals, because they change based on variables and must be updated at each change.