Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse on Mac: The First Steps

jackal27

Alright, Ive been gone for a while, but a few of you know why, hahaha. I use a Mac and I love it, but unfortunately I need Windows to run Eclipse. This was fine since I duel-booted Windows and OSX on the same machine. However… Windows, being it's awesome self, decided it didn't like me using it anymore and decided to wig out to the point of me being forced to delete my Windows partition. Thus, no more Windows, thus no more Eclipse. Buh. "But jackal, why didn't you just reinstall Windows??" 1.) I can't find my original install CD 2.) Windows decided to go ahead and corrupt some crap on my hard drive so that I'm going to have to do a clean install of OSX in order to illegally reinstall the operating system that shouldn't have wigged out in the first place.

Anyway. Ever since then, I've been trying to find ways to get Eclipse running in OSX... And I've come really REALLY close.

I found a program called "Crossover Games" which is pretty much an OSX version of Wine that's been created for the single purpose of running Windows-only games in natively in OSX. In other words...

![](http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/733/picture1uy9.png)

Yeah… That's the Windows-only game Knytt running along side the Windows Playstation emulator, ePSXe running Suikoden 2\. In OSX. I also run Steam (Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Portal, etc.), Guild Wars, Silkroad Online, and a ton of indie games from this nifty app.

So, why not Eclipse?? Well... I gave it a shot and nothing happened. That was a few months ago. After some fiddling, tutorial reading, and installing of the Library files, I've finally made some progress. Here's an Elcipse Server running in OSX.

![](http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2874/picture2wi5.png)

Beautiful isn't it? There's only one thing… When I shut down the Server, it freezes right here...

![](http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2829/picture3td7.png)

… and I have to "Force Quit" (the Mac equivalent of Ctrl+Alt+Delete) out of Crossover. So what about the Client? Well, first I decided to test MY game's old client, it's not running on Eclipse 2.7, it's using an early version of 2.6 that never came out.

I got the Loading bar and then this...

![](http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5039/picture7xm1.png)

Whatever that means. Any takers care to explain it?? Next I tried an Eclipse 2.7 client and I got 3 errors, here are all of them.

First:
![](http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3016/picture4np7.png)

Second:
![](http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5152/picture5ic4.png)

Third:
![](http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6093/picture6lv7.png)

What does it all mean? Anyone care to help me out? Could there be a file or something that Windows would norally have by default that I need to install? If I can get this figured out, it could be potentially beneficial to all Eclipse users and not just me! If I can get this figured out it means that Eclipse games could be run on Macs! So come on, help an old friend out.

ignore the first two errors they will fix themselves on the first run.

For the VBMP.ocx i would tell you to install the old ascentive library files but i guess you cant on a mac?

Basically you should register VBMP.ocx not sure what the equivalent of that is on a mac since ive never used one.

Good work btw, would be cool to figure out how to run eclipse on a mac.

Hey there Atramentous! Don't think I've met you before, but you're an admin. Your avatar is scary. Anyway.

I can do pretty much anything I can do on a Windows machine using this program. How would I go about installing the old files and where are they?? How would you register VBMP.ocx in Windows??

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I've got it. I'll update shortly.

Alright! Sorry to double-post, but I've made progress! After installing the ascentive library files, the server and client seem to be booting up just fine! First, I booted up the 2.7 client and tried to connect to the server, but it just hung like this…

![](http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8363/picture1bg5.png)

It also, for some reason, isn't showing the GUI in 2.7, but I have no idea why. I managed to navigate around without one though.

Next I tried out my old client (even though this isn't the server for TOA, I thought I'd give it a shot. It still hung in the same place….

![](http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9122/picture2uq4.png)

As you can see, the GUI showed up on my client, but not 2.7 for some reason… Hmmmm...

I know that now I have to deal with all new problems, but it's still exciting! Here's the Tales of Adriana Log-in screen on OSX! Woo!

![](http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7933/picture4eq6.png)

Very cool. Well, anyone have any suggestions for this new batch of trouble??

Hahaha, yeah, but it's running through Wine so it's just as if it were running in Windows. Imagine if Windows were an application that ran OTHER applications. That's pretty much what's going on. So it could most certainly be a problem that's fixable in Windows.

@Simius:

> too bad EE3.0 won't work under crossover. Last time I checked, windows emulators cannot emulate the "Direct3DDevice". EE3.0 uses that to draw.

lol, take that mac

But seriously, you kept blaming Windows for not working on a Mac when it wasn't really designed to do so. I had to say something. Good luck getting it to work tho.

@AdrianC:

> lol, take that mac
>
> But seriously, you kept blaming Windows for not working on a Mac when it wasn't really designed to do so. I had to say something. Good luck getting it to work tho.

Actually, it was designed to run Windows. That's why they use Intel now and include Boot Camp. In fact, for a time, I'm not sure about now, but Macs ran Windows Vista better than any computer on the market. I don't understand what you mean by it not being designed to run on a Mac, because a Mac is just a computer, the only thing that makes it so different is the operating system. Saying that Windows doesn't run well on a Mac is the same as saying that Windows doesn't run well on ANY computer, lol.

Anyway.

@Simius:

> too bad EE3.0 won't work under crossover. Last time I checked, windows emulators cannot emulate the "Direct3DDevice". EE3.0 uses that to draw.

@Simius:

> the only thing windows has over mac/linux is DirectX. So far, only DirectDraw can be emulated.

Actually, Crossover Games does emulate DirectX. That's how I'm able to get The Orange Box, Guild Wars, etc. running. I think you're probably thinking of emulators like VMWare Fusion and Parallels.

@Sean¹:

> its a shame it doesnt work over mac, or id be switching to for a more stable server, that is.

Don't write it off yet, just because I encountered a problem today doesn't mean that it won't be fixed pretty soon.

Once again, does anyone have any advice? It looks like some people running Eclipse in Wine on a Linux system have gotten some of the same problems before, so maybe there's a work around or something I forgot throw into my "system32" folder. Dunno, let me know if you have any ideas.

Let me rephrase that. Windows wasn't designed to run alongside Mac.

There's no way you can prove that Microsoft worked on getting Windows to run on a mac as well as possible.

Quote: but Macs ran Windows Vista better than any computer on the market.

Well, if I may use your argument against you, you said a mac is still basically a computer. So the computer specs are the important thing when running an operating system. Since the best macs and computers have fairly similar specs (although you can get better computer parts of the interned, eg eight core (not sure if that's what its called but I know a few people who have it). I don't think Macs have that yet, but lets go with stuff that you can buy from your local superstore) macs and PCs would run windows just as well. I don't see why a mac would run vista better.

EDIT: I sometimes used the word computer instead of PC. Just thought I'd point that out before someone else did.

@jackal27:

> Actually, it was designed to run Windows. That's why they use Intel now and include Boot Camp. In fact, for a time, I'm not sure about now, but Macs ran Windows Vista better than any computer on the market. I don't understand what you mean by it not being designed to run on a Mac, because a Mac is just a computer, the only thing that makes it so different is the operating system. Saying that Windows doesn't run well on a Mac is the same as saying that Windows doesn't run well on ANY computer, lol.
>
> Anyway.
>
> Actually, Crossover Games does emulate DirectX. That's how I'm able to get The Orange Box, Guild Wars, etc. running. I think you're probably thinking of emulators like VMWare Fusion and Parallels.
>
> Don't write it off yet, just because I encountered a problem today doesn't mean that it won't be fixed pretty soon.
>
> Once again, does anyone have any advice? It looks like some people running Eclipse in Wine on a Linux system have gotten some of the same problems before, so maybe there's a work around or something I forgot throw into my "system32" folder. Dunno, let me know if you have any ideas.

I have crossover and it crashes at some directx features. primarily ones revolving around using the direct3ddevice.

@AdrianC:

> Let me rephrase that. Windows wasn't designed to run alongside Mac.
>
> There's no way you can prove that Microsoft worked on getting Windows to run on a mac as well as possible.
>
> Quote: but Macs ran Windows Vista better than any computer on the market.
>
> Well, if I may use your argument against you, you said a mac is still basically a computer. So the computer specs are the important thing when running an operating system. Since the best macs and computers have fairly similar specs (although you can get better computer parts of the interned, eg eight core (not sure if that's what its called but I know a few people who have it). I don't think Macs have that yet, but lets go with stuff that you can buy from your local superstore) macs and PCs would run windows just as well. I don't see why a mac would run vista better.
>
> EDIT: I sometimes used the word computer instead of PC. Just thought I'd point that out before someone else did.

I'm not saying Windows did, I'm saying Apple did. Also is that really so hard to imagine since Microsoft actually works alongside Apple? It's how Apple got Intel processors, Microsoft Office, etc. I don't think you've used Boot Camp or duel-booted on a Mac before soooo… Yeah. I'll try and explain it a bit though

You partition off a section of your hard-drive for Windows, then you install Windows on that section using Bootcamp, then you install the Windows drivers so that all the fancy stuff like the built-in iSight, the backlit keyboard, graphics card, and the trackpad, works correctly in Windows. From then on, when you turn your computer on, you have the option to boot up the computer into either Windows or OSX. It's exactly like running Windows on any other computer. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that it wasn't designed run alongside Mac, because a Mac is just a computer. Do you mean OSX? In that case I can agree, no it wasn't designed to be emulated within OSX, but that's not what bootcamp does. Bootcamp divides your hard drive so that it's literally like having two different computers in the same box (or laptop in my case). However, they run and operate completely separate from one another.

Anyway, I'm not here to discuss this stuff, it's off-topic, I'm trying get Eclipse running in OSX. I could just run it in a new Windows Bootcamp partition if I wanted, but that would just be running it in Windows and I think it would be cooler if I can get it to run within OSX itself.

So, does anyone have ideas??

@Simius:

> I have crossover and it crashes at some directx features. primarily ones revolving around using the direct3ddevice.

Ok, I want to get back on topic though, so I'll say this. Are you using Crossover or Crossover Games? Crossover Games is designed specifically for games and Crossover is designed more for business apps and stuff.

• 1 month later...