Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

General Magic Help

shriuken154

I think some spells are bugged in 2.7, unfortunately. That might be the problem.

This is the wrong forum for this, the Game Design forums are about discussing balance and other inherent game features, not particular errors or problems.

So I'm going to hijack this thread and discuss magic balancing issues.

Main thing is trying to make magic useful and a good option without making it overpowering at the same time. I think a good method is to have magic be powerful, but require an investment of mana / magic points to give it a cost. Problem is most games, especially "asian" MMOs, everyone has tons of MP relatively and all use it for "special moves" so there isn't much distinction between magic users and non-magic users, except for how often these skills are used or their style.

What about growth and development? In fantasy settings and books, and in their historical counterparts (shamans, druids, alchemists, etc.), these "magicians" spent years in study and training, and most of these figures and characters are older when they have their power. This is a neat thing to do to match the gameworld and lore, but what about players? It isn't fun to play schoolkid or cadet or acolyte who does tedious things for little reward (hmm although wait, we are talking MMOs here!). But on the same note you don't want every stupid nobody newbie shooting thunderbolts all over either.

Lot of different things to discuss with magic. I would add more but I think I'd drift into other aspects of MMO games so I'll stop here and let everyone think and add insights.

Perhaps more magic spells need to be scripted b the user to require not only a magic level but perhaps an overall player level. So a level 10 person who has just put all 10 levels into magic cannot wield the same powerful magic (necessarily) as a level 20.

Personally I prefer having Stat level limitations rather than general level limitations. Because then the player has a choice. They can choose to put their points into Magic instead of other things, so they can learn stronger magic faster. The downside to their choice is they will have less HP and perhaps weapon/combat abilities except for their magic.

When you just have general level restrictions, there is no choice for the player to make, they just have to wait until they reach a certain spot.