Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SpaceShooter Java Engine

blkcrow

I am currently making a java engine with lwjgl in order to be used in my future projects. Instead of one complete game engine i am making small independent engines (graphics, music, networking…)  to be used when needed. So i though why not make a small easy to be made game and develop it along the engines. I searched online and found some really nice free to use [space shooter](http://opengameart.org/content/space-shooter-art) graphics. And here it is

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/e4cece16ec4efc20d7830648f6a657ae.png)

not much is done yet just basic gameplay. Options  and High Score buttons do nothing as of yet but will do later on development

download link: [https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwelwIV1BTReM2N0NjJOLWkwZ1k/edit?usp=sharing](https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwelwIV1BTReM2N0NjJOLWkwZ1k/edit?usp=sharing)

Download link is uptodate

Change Log:

**31/8/2013**

* Added better input handling.
* Second version is out.
* Changed Load game button with options but it doesn't do anything as of yet.
* Press v to enable VSync and f to toggle the frame lock on and off.
* I have added some more fonts in the font folder to change the ingame font change the name of the font you want to "font.png"

**25/8/2013**

* Added better support for bitmap fonts. Now they look much more better
* Did some optimizations on the way the Graphics engine handles textures
* The bullets and the player has been speed up a bit also enemies fire bullets more frequently

To do list:

* Fix some issues with the time step
* Optimize graphics engine
* Make proper GUI classes
* Start the music engine
* Start the database engine
* Start the physics engine
* Start the networking engine

I will keep a track of the 10 people that get the higher score so post your screenshots here and i will add you to the list

High Scorers

1. Scara - 9600
2. blkcrow - 8400
3. Sherwin - 7900

> I'm not sure if the bullets are meant to be super slow?

I will speed some things up in the next update (Bullets, players, enemies) to make the gameplay faster. I will probably add more types of enemies and some asteroids too

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't been working on this much but i have some updates.

* Added better support for bitmap fonts. Now they look much more better
* Started planning the GUI classes
* Started working on an Input Engine
* Did some optimizations on the way the Graphics engine handles textures
* The bullets and the player has been speed up a bit also enemies fire bullets more frequently

i wont upload the latest version yet till i fix some problems with the game lagging when the fps are locked

> -snip-

added you in the high scorers

I would have posted a screenshot but the game window kept crashing while the rest of the game hogged up my entire processor. The game coding must be horribly inefficient, since what I was see on screen was not as demanding as the client was.

FYI, I was getting >2K FPS on my crappy laptop.

> I would have posted a screenshot but the game window kept crashing while the rest of the game hogged up my entire processor. The game coding must be horribly inefficient, since what I was see on screen was not as demanding as the client was.
>
> FYI, I was getting >2K FPS on my crappy laptop.

The code for the game (player, enemies, bullets, etc) is indeed inefficient since i just throw it together for testing purposes but shouldn't be that inefficient it takes only about 15% of my cpu at 2.60Ghz with 680fps. I should have limit the fps but it seemed weird that i will only get ~600 fps even if i didn't draw anything on the screen. Anyway the next version will have an fps cap and an option to uncap them

• 2 weeks later...