Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Port Forward: Static IP (fixed)

NightMare009

A static IP address just means it doesnt change.

If you leave your modem on 24/7 you most likely will keep your IP. Some ISPs change them often, or if you turn say, your cable modem off and someone else turns theirs on, there is a possibility the ISP will assign them your IP as it is now avaliable and not in use, and next time you turn your modem on, youll get a new one.

If your IP keeps changing, the IP in the config.ini file will keep being incorrect and you will have to keep telling people to edit it or send them a new one with the correct address.

One good way to find out if your IP is static, is go to ipchicken.com… see what it tells you your IP is
and then monitor it over a week perhaps. If it does not change at all, you should be safe to use that.

If it constantly changes, then there is 2 options.

1\. ask your ISP to assign you a static IP.
2\. Tricky for beginners - use a public DNS service, as they can resolve host names rather than IP addresses, so you could assign yourself a host name, and even if your ISP is cycling addresses on the dynamic host (dhcp)
the host name will always be the same, no matter what the IP is.

@[IG:

> УVO link=topic=41081.msg405927#msg405927 date=1237901792]
> Thats his internal static IP ice.
>
> THE STATIC IP YOU NEED IS THE ONE FROM IPCHICKEN. YES.

no, I was talking about the internal static IP (thats what we call it)
but most ISP's provide a dynamic IP. An EXTERNAL STATIC IP is what you get from ipchicken

@Ice:

> no, I was talking about the internal static IP (thats what we call it)
> but most ISP's provide a dynamic IP. An EXTERNAL STATIC IP is what you get from ipchicken

Why would he want his internal IP if he's studying port forwarding?  IPchicken cant resolve your internal static ip anyway.

@Ice:

> www.portforward.com

Ice, i know how the set it up.
But, when i add Eclipse1 & 2 with 192.168.2.2(Yes thats my internal IP) it says with the portchecker tool that my ports are open.
When i use the IP from IP chicken it says they aren't open.
I was just wondering if that is correct, because i thought I had to add the IP from IP chicken