Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Correcting terms.

Wharp

Okay, I've been reading up on books about Programming, and scripting in general. I've found that terms used on here are not correct, i would like to correct those.

Alpha testing- A test by the creator(s) of the program to find bugs.

Beta testing- A test with none developers thrown in ( they are known as Beta Testers)

Programming language- A language such as C, C++, Visual BASIC, Pascal, Cobol, or Fortran.

Scripting Language- Another language, but these languages are using by a programming language to preform its tasks much easier. These languages include VBA, used by most microsoft applications. Or LUA, used by Blizzard for WoW.

I'm not telling everyone they're stupid, or they don't know how to code. I just wanted the community to become a little more correct.  It's what i do. :azn:

@~{Wharp}~[SB:

> [CUBE] link=topic=41702.msg414711#msg414711 date=1238728226]
> Okay, I've been reading up on books about Programming, and scripting in general. I've found that terms used on here are not correct, i would like to correct those.
>
> Alpha testing- A test by the creator(s) of the program to find bugs.
>
> Beta testing- A test with none developers thrown in ( they are known as Beta Testers)
>
> Programming language- A language such as C, C++, Visual BASIC, Pascal, Cobol, or Fortran.
>
> Scripting Language- Another language, but these languages are using by a programming language to preform its tasks much easier. These languages include VBA, used by most microsoft applications. Or LUA, used by Blizzard for WoW.
>
> I'm not telling everyone they're stupid, or they don't know how to code. I just wanted the community to become a little more correct.  It's what i do. :azn:

The alpha and beta testing is correct, although some people also use it for testing stages instead, which should be correct too as they come from the Greek alphabet and not from some de facto standard about tests.

As for programming and scripting languages its hard to draw a border. Normally scripting languages are those progressed by an application instead of a processor or those which aren't compiled to machine language. The problem here is that, according to these terms, languages like Java would be scripting languages instead of programming languages, although they're most likely seen as programming languages. Another approach is: a programming language is meant to create programs (drivers, kernels, libraries, etc. are then also seen as programs) with and a scripting language is meant to create script with. In that case Java would be a programming language. In my case I've always seen interpreted languages as scripting languages (exception: Java).

@Keebler:

> Sadly eclipse community will probably stay illiterate anyways

If you're talking about each and every single term, yes. Knowing what they're is usually hard too, finding out what term is used for what, is usually even harder.

Sincerely, Obitech.