Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to use different tiles?

Antidote

I don't want to use the normal RMXP tiles everyone else uses, so I got some other tiles from RPG-Palace and want to use them.  I broke down the different sections so it's not one HUGE tileset, and then renamed the different portions and replaced the tiles in my Client>GFX folder.  However, now when I try to start the game, I get a DirectDraw error that says I need DirectX 7.0 or higher….  Did I do something wrong?

Hmmm… my tiles vary from 760 pixels in length to 4,940 pixels in length, but some of the old ones are as long as 8,000 pixels in length....  I think that DirectDraw has something to do with the fact that the engine isn't making the picture into the tiles.... but I don't know if that's the real issue and even if it is, I don't know how to fix it...  >_<

This answer is base on your question in other topic [Zelda Sprites](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42495.0) Didnt want to answer there, cuz it will be off-topic  :P

> Yeah…. I guess so.  I was thinking about making two games there for a little while, and then I realized my stupidity at thinking that... soooo thanks for the offer!
>
> And I did rename/reformat the pictures so that they are bmp and tiles0-tiles9.  I still get an error, but the pictures are still smaller than the original files.... so maybe they all need to be the same size?

No problem lol XD
Mind telling what the error are? Not neccesarily be the same size, cuz the default Eclipse source Tiles7 - Tiles9 are smaller that the others and as far as I know, only size of the width that is fixed, which is 256.

ON TOPIC: Have you tried re-install directX?

It says that it's a DirectDraw error and then it says err: 54.  And I haven't tried re-installing DirectX, because the engine works fine until I replace the tiles, which is when I get the error.  Re-installing DirectX shouldn't fix the problem…

@unnown:

> is the file format good? .bmp?

Yup

Basically, anyone who has custom tiles in their game, just let me know how you did it.  I renamed my tiles in the "Tiles0.bmp" format and then replaced the old ones.  Now when I open my client, it works up until loading the game map, where I get the DirectDraw error.  This is really holding me up in my game development….

@Spencer:

> I've came across thing error before. It's one of the tilesets that is causing these errors.

Yes, that's actually quite obvious… That's why I'm asking how to fix it.

@[NW:

> [  ] Sean link=topic=42605.msg429489#msg429489 date=1240084532]
> open tiles0.bmp (Original) open your new file
> now select them all and copy and past into the tiles0

Thanks, it worked!  Thanks for your help, guys, now I can finally get going on my project.

@Anna:

> I don't think your "custom" tilesets are being correctly saved as BMP files.

No, they are.  There was just an issue with one of the tilesets that was too small and then they didn't have the correct "transparent" background color, but I fixed that.  Thanks again for your help!