Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about EE3.0 projectile pathfinding

Savant

Question for HM, most likely:

Does EE3.0 inherently support pathfinding for projectile animations?  For example, if I am at location (X1,Y1) and my target is at location (X2,Y2) and I cast a spell like a fireball, would the engine have the capability out-of-the-box to animate the projectile image towards my target (even if he's not in one of the four cardinal directions)?  Somewhat related to that, if my target moves while the projectile is en route, can the engine readjust the projectile's final destination to compensate?

Thanks!

So, after thinking about it, I have some fun ideas for a game where projectiles behave like "arrows" in EE2.7 (i.e., they travel in a straight line from your player and hit whatever it encounters first).  But pathfinding of the projectile images would be great, too.  I'm more interested in just the movement of the image, rather than the projectile itself.  In other words, I'm not concerned that the projectile location itself is updated as the image travels.  I just would like the "illusion" that the projectile is traveling towards its target.

I guess it would be great to have options? :)

It might be a bit more complicated if you are trying to make the projectile "home" in on the target as the target moves.  If you animate the projectile movement so that it's almost instantaneous, then you can probably get away with just keeping the vector between the player and the target. 

Like I said, I can see some fun, innovative systems with projectiles being handled like arrows are in EE2.7, so I think there's merit in keeping that as an option.  But obviously some sort of support for pathfinding of animations would be epic too!