Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have the portforwarding set up, but…

SawQuart

I have the portforwarding set up, but Im confused about 3 things:

1\. Which server does the "PlayersClient" run on? I can't get the client connected with the internet because (im just guessing) I dont have a server set up for it. Should I copy another server and put it in the client folder or what? The tuts seemed to miss this topic…

2\. What folder do I put the client folder in? Different tutorials said different things. Im confused.

3\. How do you edit the player's client? Every time I did (before it started glitching) It would glitch. This isnt a part of the about questions, just dont think of this when trying to give a diagnosis...

Please help me! I have fans waiting for the beta release this week...

Eclipse has two folder called Client and Server (unless you've just downloaded a game instead of Eclipse).

Open the Server folder, it should contain an executable (and a bunch of other files and folders). Run the executable (Normally called 'Server.exe').

Open the Client folder, it also contains an execute (and a bunch of other files and folders). Run the executable (May be called 'Eclipse.exe').

To connect to your own server, go to IP config. Use 127.0.0.1 as the IP-address and 4000/4001 as the port (Check Server/Data.ini for the port).

To connect to your own server from another computer on the same network (i.e. sharing the same router) use the private IP of the computer where the server is running on.

To connect to your own server from another computer outside the network, use the public IP of the network (www.ipchicken.com).

To retrieve your private IP:
Click on Start and go to Run. (i.e. open command prompt)
Type 'cmd'.
Type 'ipconfig' in command prompt.
There's your private IP (the IP not being the subnet or the default gateway).

Regards,
Godlord.

> To connect to your own server, go to IP config. Use 127.0.0.1 as the IP-address and 4000/4001 as the port (Check Server/Data.ini for the port).
>
> To connect to your own server from another computer on the same network (i.e. sharing the same router) use the private IP of the computer where the server is running on.
>
> To connect to your own server from another computer outside the network, use the public IP of the network (http://www.ipchicken.com).

I assume the computer you're trying to connect on is hosting the server, in that case use 127.0.0.1.

If you're connecting to your server from another computer and if you're in the same house (shared network) then use the private IP.

If you're connecting to your server from another computer but if you aren't in the same house then use the public IP. (If this doesn't work, then you might not have port forwarded correctly)

Regards,
  Godlord.

There are three IPs to retrieve for portforwarding.

Private IP (the IP of your computer in your network).
Public IP (the IP of your network).
Gateway IP (the IP of your router in your network).

To retrieve the private IP and the gateway IP:
1\. Click on Start.
2\. Click on Run.
3\. Type 'cmd' (on Windows NT and later) or 'command' (on Windows ME and prior).
4\. Click on OK.
1, 2, 3 and 4 are equal to opening a command prompt.
5\. Type 'ipconfig' in the command prompt.
6\. Press enter.
7\. Your IP addresses should now appear. The default gateway is your gateway IP and the IP-address is your private IP.

Connecting to your router:
1\. Open your internet browser.
2\. Type the gateway IP in your address bar.
3\. Browse.
4\. The router configuration should appear now.

If you need to log in, log in using your account data from the ISP (Your network administrator will surely know what the username and the password are for this account, if you aren't the network administrator).

Once logged in, you'll need to configure your port forwarding settings (my explanation may differ from most routers, however, it might help).

If you've a menu then go search for NAPT, NAT, firewall, game settings, port forwarding, port translation, etc. Click on it.

Now a list should display which is most likely empty. If you've an 'Add' button then click on it. Now some details should display to fill in. I recommend to use the help available in your router settings or the manual which came with your router for this instead of relying on me. In case none of both are available then try finding out things yourself.

The protocol: the protocol should be TCP or TCP/UDP or 'Both' or 'Every protocol'. Whatever options you've, be sure that it is either everything or just TCP. Without TCP Eclipse will not work.

The incoming/outgoing address: if this is there, then fill in your private IP.

The incoming/outgoing port: fill in the port you want to open (check Server/data.ini for the port for Eclipse).

If you've something like begin and end, then fill in the same port in both. (Begin and end will allow you to open port ranges like all ports between 4000 and 6000 and those included).

Translate to: if you've something like this, it should be your port if you can only type in five characters at max. If you can type an IP-address, type the private IP, if you also need to type a port, type the port.

It should always be something like this.

After adding your port, click on OK or whatever button is available and reboot your router.

Gaining the public IP:
Go to http://www.ipchicken.com/ and get the IP.

I've explained IP distribution already (what IP to use when connecting at a specific place).

Regards,
  Godlord.