Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Server Hosting? what does it do?

dsilverwolf

what does server hosting do? does it store info for you or something or like add to the amount of players you can have logged in at a time? im confused because it didnt ask for me to upload my server files?

EDIT:also ive been looking and is there a place i can have unlimited hosts instead of the five that no ip gives? also if i cant get it free what are some places i can buy the correct type of hosting that gives like unlimited hosts for your purchase or like 30 because when my games get BIG lol which i hope they will i want to be able to let tons of people play at a time instead of just like 1000\. so? sorry for asking all this at once.

Firstly, Server Hosting is when someone runs your Server.exe for you, and people connect to their computer to play your game instead of yours.

You should only need 1 server host, to host one Server.exe, and everyone in your game connects to that Server.  Check the Tutorials Board, there are alot of informative guides on how the network and server system works on Eclipse.

Also, if your game gets very big, I would suggest investing in a dedicated machine rather then using a host, as the hosts can get very expensive.

Either way, check around the forums, there are some people offering hosting; here is one:
http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47999.0.html

@Admiral:

> Firstly, Server Hosting is when someone runs your Server.exe for you, and people connect to their computer to play your game instead of yours.
>
> You should only need 1 server host, to host one Server.exe, and everyone in your game connects to that Server.  Check the Tutorials Board, there are alot of informative guides on how the network and server system works on Eclipse.
>
> Also, if your game gets very big, I would suggest investing in a dedicated machine rather then using a host, as the hosts can get very expensive.
>
> Either way, check around the forums, there are some people offering hosting; here is one:
> http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47999.0.html

ive done server hosting before it doesnt run your server.exe you still have to run it on your comp.?

@Admiral:

> You're talking about Eclipse's server, aren't you?  That's hosting the server.exe, or, hosting your server.
>
> If someone is hosting your server for you, they are the ones running the Server.exe on their computer (look at that link I showed you).

He is correct.

Server hosting is when someone runs a "server". Which is a program which allows other "clients" to connect to it.
Who ever is running the server is considered the "host".

You only need one host, as the server is made so that it can accept as many connections from clients as it needs.