Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Implementing a simple mount system

azrail13

I'm trying to figure out a simple way to implement a mount system. I'm new to EO but I'm comfy in RPGMVACE so I hope I'm just missing something here.

How would I go about paper dolling a horse? Can I have a smaller sprite and paper doll a larger sprite under it or can I just swap sprites? 

Is there something like this out there already? If not, what would be an easy way to implement mounts?

I would really like mounts to have stats that effect mini game outcomes and possibly even a breeding system for mounts/pets.

Since there is already a pet system, I think it would be easy to get a breeding event going. Then I could take that and use it for the mounts as well. 

Any ideas?

I am not very good at VB6 but I here is my opinion.

Create a new item slot (VB6) for a mount.(or you could use a slot already there)

Create a paperdoll of a horse and set it lower than an item so it would be below the character. Now use a character sheet in background (i use paint.net) and make it so the horse faces the same way as characters do. Idk if that makes sense ill try it later =/

Paperdolling would leave a player offset that would be very weird, (For example). One would think their tile would be where the horses legs are; While in actuality, they would be Y-1 or Y-2\. It could be done though, if you don't care for the offset.

The easiest other route would be to create a totally different sprite with player on mount, and just change the players sprite when they do mount, however with EO 4, it may be harder to initialize, I'm sure this'll have to utilize the event system, as the engine does not offer open coding to the engine. However, you could have points in the game (or areas) that make it inaccessible unless you have a certain mount, that will keep the concept from looking weird.

> I'm trying to figure out a simple way to implement a mount system. I'm new to EO but I'm comfy in RPGMVACE so I hope I'm just missing something here.
>
>  
>
> How would I go about paper dolling a horse? Can I have a smaller sprite and paper doll a larger sprite under it or can I just swap sprites? 
>
>  
>
> Is there something like this out there already? If not, what would be an easy way to implement mounts?
>
>  
>
> I would really like mounts to have stats that effect mini game outcomes and possibly even a breeding system for mounts/pets.
>
>  
>
> Since there is already a pet system, I think it would be easy to get a breeding event going. Then I could take that and use it for the mounts as well. 
>
>  
>
> Any ideas?

what client are you using ill see if I can whip something up!

> Paperdolling would leave a player offset that would be very weird, (For example). One would think their tile would be where the horses legs are; While in actuality, they would be Y-1 or Y-2\. It could be done though, if you don't care for the offset.
>
>  
>
> The easiest other route would be to create a totally different sprite with player on mount, and just change the players sprite when they do mount, however with EO 4, it may be harder to initialize, I'm sure this'll have to utilize the event system, as the engine does not offer open coding to the engine. However, you could have points in the game (or areas) that make it inaccessible unless you have a certain mount, that will keep the concept from looking weird.

Hmm. Im going to have to try. If I made the paper doll of a horse with the character legs on it already (so it looks like the legs are there but are just pixled onto the paperdoll) and set the paper doll to the characters wasit so you dont get that off set balance and make the front legs of the horse a smidge bigger because it would actaully be the characters front legs? idk just a suggestion lol

I'm using the Eclipse Origins 4.0  client. Is that what you meant? I have not done anything to it. I've been playing with mapping in the demo. 

Thanks you for all the fast replies. I hope this thread is helpful to anyone else who decided to attempt the same thing with the same paper doll method mentioned. 

I appreciate you letting me know about that offset. That is really what threw me off. I figured it be too wonky to use in anything. 

Thanks again everyone. If you do work something out, I'll do some graphic work for you if you need it. I'm very proficient in photoshop and I think I'm pretty ok and matching pixel shading styles :)