Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Idea about an MMORG - Massively multiplayer Online Racing game

Pasketi

I got this idea, that if i somehow got a realistic 2D racing physics engine done with java, i could start building a MMORG around it. I'd include something like this in it:

* Lots of different tuneable cars (painting, performance, levels, exterior and maybe if 3d some time then interior)
* Free cities to explore
* Multiplayer-racing in many different tracks
* Street racing with NPC's down the road
* Realtime collisions with other players (not in free-ride)
* Possibility to also walk around, trade cars (when not driving), have own garage, park your car and pick it up when you come back (other people might not see your car, because it might get roads crowded, maybe parking-lot was meant to get crowded…)
* Off-road (SUV's)
* MMO!!!
* And a lot more

This WILL be extremely difficult, but i'll start with the physics-engine and 1 track. I got also think when i build up the cars to make them so, that you can tune it as much as in NFSU 2… DAM this is gonna be HARD!!!

But what do you think?

-P

Racing based MMOs can be fun… try out Drift City. I'm not sure what the market would be for a 2d one though, although it might work. I'd think if you went more classical GTA series route with it instead of just racing-based would help with the 2d aspect.

Oh, and I chuckled at "Off-road (SUV's)"

@Anna:

> Racing based MMOs can be fun… try out Drift City. I'm not sure what the market would be for a 2d one though, although it might work. I'd think if you went more classical GTA series route with it instead of just racing-based would help with the 2d aspect.
>
> Oh, and I chuckled at "Off-road (SUV's)"

Nice have someone like my idea :D
if i think more, it would be like GTA, but without guns and blood. Just racing (like NFSU2 rpg online 2d :D)
And the market would be like some large storage-hall, that used to be a fis-market, but people trade pink slips for money and vice versa.

PS. What so funny about SUV's?
PSS. Did i mention i'll do it with java? It's gonna be hard, because only language i've written is, sadly, Sadscript :D and a little VB6 with tutorials… But what do you think! Could anone play this, if fine-tuned (perfect physics-engine etc...)?

I personally don't think you'll finish it lol. Also why choose Java? Not that its bad, just wondering why you chose java to build a MMO? Also, why would you build the physics engine first? That seems very backwards. May I suggest you look at the Box2D physics library.

If i don't know any language at all right now (except sadscript) and we got this year in my school 4 months of Java programming (6 hours a week). I've asked our teachers that is there some course where i could learn C, but it's not possible. So Java is the only choice right now.
About that physics engine, i'm positive about that that i'll first even TRY to make my own, was it harder that getting a girlfriend, but i'll try. If it pleases you, i'll check that engine now.
I don't see anything bad about making an physics engine first. Think it like this: I got a rectangle and 2 circles, and i want to make the rectangle go as i like first. Then i'll edit the rectangle to a car (Maybe easiest way is to do it 3d, so it can be tuned up, and world partially 2d…)

Other questions?

@Pasketi:

> I got this idea, that if i somehow got a realistic 2D racing physics engine done with java, i could start building a MMORG around it. I'd include something like this in it:
>
> * Lots of different tuneable cars (painting, performance, levels, exterior and maybe if 3d some time then interior)
> * Free cities to explore
> * Multiplayer-racing in many different tracks
> * Street racing with NPC's down the road
> * Realtime collisions with other players (not in free-ride)
> * Possibility to also walk around, trade cars (when not driving), have own garage, park your car and pick it up when you come back (other people might not see your car, because it might get roads crowded, maybe parking-lot was meant to get crowded…)
> * Off-road (SUV's)
> * MMO!!!
> * And a lot more
>
> This WILL be extremely difficult, but i'll start with the physics-engine and 1 track. I got also think when i build up the cars to make them so, that you can tune it as much as in NFSU 2… DAM this is gonna be HARD!!!
>
> But what do you think?
>
> -P

I think this has been done before…pretty much.

@мсичġġєт:

> I was thinking about a game like this before. Go for it!

If and when i get the physics engine and the first racing-track made (and server and admin CP and easy to use editors for world etc.) I'll let you know ok?