Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vesa

7soccerbo7

@7soccerbo7:

> I need help with setting up vesa in a 32bit os using NASM.
>
> If you have any help to give, or a web address to a tutorial, please post it.

What would you need that for? If it's protected mode, you're basically screwed, because you can only set the modes in real mode or virtual mode (or 16-bit protected mode, but that's hardly ever supported).

See http://www.vesa.org/.

Also, I recommend you to drop your tools already, because it seems that you don't even know what you are doing.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I know I can't access BIOS functions in protected mode.
I know I have to set up VESA in real or unreal mode.
I have already made a 2 stage bootloader for a floppy disk.
Stage two sets up every thing for the kernel like switching to protected mode.
I want to set up VESA at stage 2 of the bootloader right before it switches to protected mode.

I know how to make a 32bit os.  I just don't know how to do is VESA.

Please do not post messages telling me I can't do it because I am not quitting.

@7soccerbo7:

> I know I can't access BIOS functions in protected mode.
> I know I have to set up VESA in real or unreal mode.
> I have already made a 2 stage bootloader for a floppy disk.
> Stage two sets up every thing for the kernel like switching to protected mode.
> I want to set up VESA at stage 2 of the bootloader right before it switches to protected mode.
>
> I know how to make a 32bit os.  I just don't know how to do is VESA.
>
> Please do not post messages telling me I can't do it because I am not quitting.

I already give you a link to their site, only takes a few minutes to find the actual specification. If you are unable to find it, you shouldn't really be doing this, but whatever. You only need to use interrupt 0x10 a few times in order to query and set. All I can say is check Ralf Brown's Interrupt List and the VESA specification and whether you use real mode, vm86 mode or a self-written x86 emulator for this doesn't matter, you just have to use interrupt 0x10\. But seriously, this isn't the right community for this anyway. Only a few people on here will know what you're actually talking about.

Also, a free tip, if you haven't already, get at least paging working as well as a memory manager and some things like IRQ, GDT, IDT, etc. because you'll definitely need those, otherwise you could as well just use 80x25 VGA in the meanwhile.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I found the specifications and implemented vesa2 into my OS last night.

I have paging, memory management, and process management.  I have very little left to do on the multitasking system.  As soon as I finish the multitasking system, I will start a window system.