Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Password Protect/Encrypt & Compress GFX

masterlegit

I know this is kind of stupid to say again but I think its a great idea to create a system like Baron used to have that you could password protect your GFX files with so other people couldn't just snatch them up and use them for themselves after all the hard work you put into customizing them for your game. I know Baron's had the right idea but didn't exactly protect your files but I think we should create it so it does. I'm not exactly sure how you would do this but encrypting the GFX with a password would be the main idea so that the client didn't know the password but the server did.

Also in doing so is there a way of compressing the graphics while encrypting them?

The problem with that is that these resources will have to be decrypted in memory at some point. One would be able to simply get it via debugger or something similar. And actually, one would be able to get it via screen shots, since that is a way of outputting the decrypted graphics. I feel like using AES or RSA for encrypting the graphics is nearly pointless since one who wants to gets the images, would be able to get them anyway.

Compression would be useful, but that's why formats such as PNG exist. Eclipse normally doesn't support that format though, although EO might, but I'm not aware of that fact.

Regards,
  Stephan.