Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO] Beginners Guide

JSchilli1

**Welcome!**

Hey! First of all, I thank you for reading my tutorial! This should help you learn the basics and get your game up and running in no time!

**Downloading the Engine**

Download the Eclipse Origins ORPG Maker [here](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,57637.0.html). Also download the Eclipse Origins Autoupdater, which can be found [here](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,58493.0.html).

**Installing the Runtime Files**

First, you'll want to install the eo_runtimes.exe file. You can find that [here](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,65854.0.html).

Now, if you're running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you'll need to right-click the file, and click Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Also check the "Run this program as an administrator" box. Run the file.

If you're running Windows XP, you just need to run the file, without doing anything extra.

**Starting up the Server**

Now that that's finished, you'll need to run the Server.exe file, which is in the server folder of the engine's files. This is where you'll do most of your administration. You'll need to leave this open if you want people to play your game.

**Launching your Client**

Without closing the server, launch client.exe. You should find this inside of the client folder. Create an account and a character, and login to the gameworld. You should already see a small snowy map, with Christmas music playing. If you're making your own game, chances are that you don't want it to be Christmas-themed.

**Opening your Admin Panel**

Open up your server again. If you've minimized it, you can find it in your system tray. Go to the Players tab, right-click your name, and click "Make Admin". Go back to the client, and type "/admin" (without the quotes) in the chatbox. This should bring up an administration panel. This is where you'll do most of your development. Play around with these editors a while until you get the hang of it. They're not complicated, but to cover them all in this tutorial would take ages.

**Making Updates**

Set up an HTTP server. I reccomend HTTPd, but I'm not going to tell you how to install it. That's beyond the scope of this tutorial, and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do that. Place the contents of the Server folder (in the autoupdater's files, not the engine's) into your server's htdocs directory. Make sure you read readme.txt file so you know how to make updates. Tell people to run their updaters whenever you come out with an update. Make sure you don't include the source in your updates.

**Port Forwarding**

I'm not going to explain it here, Google it. Make sure to port forward port 7001.

**Distributing your Game**

Now, to distribute your game. Go to whatismyip.com and copy that string of numbers shown. Edit config.ini in the client/data files directory with your IP, instead of 127.0.0.1\. Zip up the client folder and give it to your players. Make sure they install eo_runtimes.exe like I told you earlier.

**GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND, DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE IT!**

I'll add screenshots soon.

-JS1